Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kahu Blessing for a new home... Questions
Kahu Blessing Questions

Can someone please explain to me in detail, about the Kahu Blessing? We are closing on a house in Hilo October 31 and we are interested in getting the house blessed. We will be there for the closing and two weeks after, but are not moving in until January.

1) What is involved in the actual ceremony & what is the history of a Kahu Blessing ?
2) What is the usual honorarium?
3) How do I find the person/persons to do the blessing (Hilo side)?
4) Who are the leis for?
5) Are friends and neighbors usually invited? If so, is food usually provided?
6) Would it be more appropriate to do this blessing after we are moved in to the house in January? Or is it perhaps more important to do it as soon as we take official possession?

I am very interested in the cultural aspects of the community and still learning more about them. I appreciate your help in "educating me" and perhaps some others out there who may not understand this process.

Mahalo,
devany

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Could try emailing Aunty Lele on the other forum. She has done blessings and could give you an education.

We opted for a private blessing via deacon (and friend) from local church and had the party separate.
It was interesting in that we had a young puppy that took a real liking to his trousers, so it came an exercise of "Bless and Drag" as we made way room to room.
David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
David,

Mahalo. I sent her a note and she had lots of great information and hopefully will be doing our blessing in February. She is a gem!

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Here is Ikaika's number 895-9123

He is a Hawaiian Kahuna and did a LOVELY job for us. Just in case Auntie doesn't work out...

Pam
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Mahalo for the Ikaika's number and info!

quote:
Originally posted by pslamont

Here is Ikaika's number 895-9123

He is a Hawaiian Kahuna and did a LOVELY job for us. Just in case Auntie doesn't work out...

Pam

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com