Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DÍA DE LOS MUERTOS
Does any celebrate DÍA DE LOS MUERTOS here in Hawaii. Honor your dead Nov.1 & 2.

We generally celebrate Oct 29 - Nov 2

More info.
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/muertos.html

Aloha
Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Obon is the big celebration on island, throughout the summer, at the Buddist Temples and missions, This July was the Suisan Co. 100th Anniversary Floating Lantern Ceremony held at Wailoa State Park's large pavilion at dusk with the memorial latern floating into Hilo Bay. In the Philippines, Araw ng mga Patay (Day of the Dead) memorial is celebrated on All Saints Day, and there are some groups on island that do have memorials on Nov. 1 & some also on the 2nd.

I miss really good carne asada burritos made at the local family-run restaurant in Arizona...lotsa avocado and cilantro, some pico de gallo on those giant fresh tortillas...yum. (Okay, back to the subject!)

Dia de los muertos...we can go eat dinner and listen to music at the local cemetery. LOL...somehow just ain't the same.

And Cinco de Mayo came and went too with nary a taquito. Smile (Although I'm seeing shades of Hazen's shrimp ceviche at a really fun Punaweb gathering at Richard and Mark's place!)

Carrie

"In through a doorway she brings me
White gold and pearls stolen from the sea..." U2

Edited by - Carolann R on 10/14/2007 05:51:35
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
quote:
I miss really good carne asada burritos made at the local family-run restaurant in Arizona...lotsa avocado and cilantro, some pico de gallo on those giant fresh tortillas...yum.

I miss Filbertos also! My favorite was the breakfast burrito with the red and green sauce.

Cinco de Mayo seems to be the only Mexican holiday celebrated here...and true...without much flare!

"What? Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Nueman
"Vote with your money!"
We just might have to work on that Cinco De Mayo Celebration.
I miss Menudo and a cold Negra Modelo ceveza at mom an dad's on Sunday.
I miss Casa Jimenez $1 Huevos Rancherous. Opps last time on mainland now $1.50.

All this talk about Mex food. Makes me hungry.
Can't wait for punagirl's party Yeah

Aloha
Wyatt

-- Beca Lewis Allen
quote:
Does any celebrate DÍA DE LOS MUERTOS here in Hawaii. Honor your dead Nov.1 & 2.

We generally celebrate Oct 29 - Nov 2

More info.
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/muertos.html

Aloha
Wyatt

Wyatt, did you live in Mexico before, or just a Hispanic neighborhood on the mainland?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
My Dad was born in Mexico and my Mom MexAmer from Brownsville Texas area. Us kids were born and raised in So Cal. Gramma ,Grampa and 6 uncles next door. I quess that would make us a Kinda a Mex/American neighborhood in a small
Town named San Jacinto Califonia with a 60% Hispanic population

Wyatt

Edited by - wyatt on 10/14/2007 09:33:32

Edited by - wyatt on 10/14/2007 09:35:00
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Orale Wyatt, como esta usted? It's good to see another fellow Chicano in this part of the world. I am Mexican American, both my abuleos y mis bisabuelos were born in the Northern state of Sonora. My family migrated through Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, etc till they reached California and setteled. I was born and raised in Carson, CA (about 20 miles south of Los Angeles) And no, I don't celebrate Dia de Los Muertos. BUT, I do miss my familias comida. Mi abuelita was the best cook ever. AND YES, the Big Island is definitely in need of some firme grinds.

P.S By the way Wyatt, hey homie, what kind of name is Wyatt, for a Chicano. LOL. Not trying to poke fun at you, but Wyatt? I'm interested in the explanation. Alrato

Until age 18, I lived in West Central Texas in a community that was a third Scots-Irish-Anglo, a third German, and a third Mexican-American. We all grew up tri-lingual, which, along with the great food, was one of the few cultural advantages offered in the area. (School lunches could get quite bizarre at times.) The Chicanos did NOT celebrate Dia de los Muertos, not even those with family connections to Mexico.

My first exposure to the holiday was on a visit to a ranch in central Coahila state. My dad had sold them some registered Santa Gertrudis cattle, and he and my mother became close friends with the rancher and his wife. At age 11, I was quite impressed with what I thought was an elaborate version of Halloween. I especially liked the buffet of sweets in the graveyard and the procession through the local village. I was always disappointed that despite multiple visits to that ranch, we never were there again for Dia de los Muertos. My mother and the rancher's wife are both widows now, but remain close friends to this day.

Salud y felicidades!
Jerry

We celebrated it (dad is mex) - but this year my parents are at the beginning of a 3 month 50th wedding anniversary trip - seeing all the kids and ending up for the big party in the City of Angels. So I guess it is just me and Seaside Bob sipping a cold one with Chile Colorado or carnitas for dinner on the 1st.