Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dangers associated with hiking in Hawai'i
We love to hike and have done so all over the mainland US but not a lot on Hawai'i. We will be this March and I thought I'd better do some "homework" first.
So what are the hazards one could run into while hiking around Hawai'i? I know about the lava of course, and hidden puka.
What else should I be watching out for? What are my defenses?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Well actually slipping & falling is a big hazaard (lots of wet or muddy surfaces). My recent hike down to Pololu Valley my first step onto the muddy trail I went down fast & dislocated my pinky finger, so I'm bringing my hiking sticks for those type of trails. Test your shoes to see if they slip on wet rocks. If so bring a different pair. For light duty hikes the Keen sandles w/ toe protection are really nice. If you are hiking on lava bring your crappy shoes because the lava will eat up a nice new pair of shoes. Of course be prepared for rain & heat (umberalla/poncho and extra water). Def. have a good first aid kit if you are going on extended trips and especially if you are hiking alone hike on well traveled trails and let people know where you are going & when you will be back. Also, if you are leaving you car at trail head don't leave anything valuable within site maybe even just leave your doors unlocked. Another thing I like to do if hiking muddy trails put a large water jug in the trunk to clean up when you get back to the car.

Aloha & Happy Travels, TheodoreJay
There will be no trails where we will be hiking, if there are it will be a suprise.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Curious the word hiking implies long walk from the car. So if you aren't doing any trails not sure what it is that you are worried about?
Here on the east side, hiking without trails isn't like a stroll through the woods on the mainland. Picture the most jagged A'a flow imaginable, with cracks, pukas, and razor sharp edges. Then picture the same flow, invisible beneath tangleing U'luhe ferns and thick inpenetrable brush. You'll be lucky to make 100 feet an hour. Wear gloves, long sleeves, long pants, and eye protection.

Or, stay to the trails. enjoy.

edit spelling
Hi 8,

I have done a lot of "hiking" where there are no trails getting rid of invasive species. It is very different than what I used to think of as hiking on a trail where you can stretch your legs and kinda meditate as you go. Greg is so right about the tough going! You must pay attention to every move you make and weigh every step before you take it. It takes a lot of concentration. Even though it's sweaty, I wear long sleeves, long pants, gloves (for when you lose your balance and catch yourself on some jagged a'a), and glasses - which always seem to get steamed up.

Over time, I have developed something I call "mosquito zen" which comes when you realize there are so many of them and nothing works to keep them off, so to save your sanity you try and pretend they're not there. I usually prefer vegetarian air but inevitably wind up breathing a few of them in by accident[xx(].

It's really easy to get lost in these forests. I'm an experienced hiker and I get a little disoriented even in places I know fairly well. I most often go with a friend who has a GPS. You'll also want to avoid catching pig hunters or guerilla gardeners by surprise. You don't want to run out of daylight, so don't cut it too close and bring a good flashlight just in case.

Although I love the wild forests, a nice hike on a cleared trail would be a lot less extreme, and perhaps a good way to begin get to know the land. Be safe and have fun whatever you decide!
Uluhe Design
Native Landscape Design
uluhedesign@yahoo.com
Hmmm....hiking into the dense forest is trail blazing, not something I recommend without a good reason (for all of the reasons listed above). I tried that to get to a water fall once and decided it wasn't worth it. Hiking off into someones ranch land is not recommended. Hiking out to the lava flows is possible but only in designated areas. Every year there are reports of tourist dying because they got too close to fumes or dangeous colapsing unstable lava shelves. Hiking on the beach is great if you are at the resort after that the same rules apply be prepared w/ water, raingear, first aid kit, never hike alone (such as hiking to the green sands beach). One other thought another possible danger would be out of control dogs or maybe wild pigs or worst case angry pot growers (since bringing a gun from the mainland is difficult possibly buy pepper spray when you arrive). Pepper spray comes in handy when you are at the beach and a large out of control dog comes at you.
We do lose some visitors every year to lack of preparedness. Eightfingers is wise to ask for advice. A year ago or two ago Texas visitor got lost on the flows for three days or so. Finally got spotted by a tour copter. Some lost hikers never get spotted - never get found.
They just disappear. I don;t think that the visitor who disappeared on Mauna Kea was ever found.

Not a walk in the park to go off trail. I've almost fallen into a lava tube. Close call.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
It just started raining on Oahu- it's slippery enough waling on the sidewalk. So I agree it's treacherous on the slicked packed dirt. that's why the best hiking weather is summertime when the dirt and vegetation dried out plus less mosquitos. I also agree walking through lava ok if you like to concentrate on your every next step. I saw a Bear Gryllis episode on discovery channel about this. When i was at Pohakuloa in the Army during the 1970s couple guys decided to walk up Mauna Kea. I donno how far they got. i imagine gotta watch for the fog to set in. I would think even with the exertion going uphill going downhill more treacherous because have shift your weight downward every step.

Other people want to make friends- I just want to make money.
James Cramer
One thing to watch out for here, very short dusk period. When the sun goes down, it gets dark FAST.