Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aloha Puna!
Aloha Puna!

I am happy to see such a sincere interest from people as they "shop" for the right candidate for Puna. I will be available on this forum to answer your questions and share my platforms and commitments to this district. More importantly, I seek to listen to your concerns and thoughts for Puna so that I may truly represent you in the Hawaii State Legislature.

I envision Puna as a state model of medical, agricultural, economic, and infrastructural self-reliance and sustainability. I believe that with the support of the state government, we can create a Puna that is able to provide health care for all of its residents in a 24-hour hospital that is equipped with emergency facilities, dialysis machines, and a maternity ward.
I envision a strong Puna and a unified Puna that is able to survive through any economic threats that the world may throw at us. This can be achieved by encouraging the growth of our own foods, production of island products, and support of local entrepreneurs. I picture a Puna that is thriving with full employment because of a surge in island exports and business. Just by producing, processing, and packaging our own food, we can create over 30,000 jobs in our state.
My vision of Puna is one of optimism and understanding; optimism that this and future generations will be able to live and work in the district in which they were raised; and understanding that it will take years of commitment, hard work, and perseverance to reach these goals. I am dedicated to all of Puna�s generations, and I know that if we unite to utilize our intellect, cultural teachings, technical skills, we will be able to administer smart development while reducing blind growth in our district.

If you share my vision of Puna, I humbly and gratefully ask for your support and vote.

Feel free to contact me any time through my website, e-mail, or telephone. All of my contact information is available at http://www.AnthonyMarzi.com.

Mahalo and take care,
Anthony Marzi
Candidate, State House District 4

http://www.AnthonyMarzi.com
http://www.AnthonyMarzi.com/blog
http://www.myspace.com/tonymarzi
ALOHA!

My wife was a classmate of one of your older brothers.

She says that your brothers had a strong head on their shoulders so she assumes that you do to.

Welcome to the race.

-------
It is the way... the way it is.
Hello Mr. Marzi,

Reading through your vision it appears to be an aggressive one. It would also be one that whether or not it was a model would be beneficial for the entirety of the area. I believe there is sufficient people resources inclusive of all the talent, skill,energy and no how to arrive at the fruition of such an expansive vision. Perhaps the 'world' circumstances will be the catalyst to bring all the right resources together. It is good to know individuals are campaigning for positions within the political structure that seem to be on the same page enabling the vision to go forward.

It is also good to have a candidate here to chat with about what concerns us. I've been enjoying reading through the thoughts of the regulars here.

Our task must be to free ourselves...by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty. --Albert Einstein
"Q might have done the right thing for the wrong reason, perhaps we need a good kick in our complacency to get us ready for what's ahead" -- Captain Picard, to Guinan (Q Who?)
Mr. M -

Since you are a Leilani resident, how do you propose lowering the property crime rates of Leilani?

I know your running for a State position, but I was just curious how you would propose to lower the crime rates in your own turf before tackling bigger issues?

-------
It is the way... the way it is.
Aloha Mr Marzi,

Was a pleasure to meet you at Makuu Market last Sunday.
My take? You're genuine candidate with genuine capability.
About issues...
Below is a summary of my post of points from another thread here on 'State Dist 4'. What can you as State legislator offer the community for resolving these problems.

#1.
State Highway 130 is a disaster -- in its current enineering and in the State Dept of Highways plans to do 'improvements' to allow more cars to go faster. The community has repeatedly expressed a big NO to more cars going faster. We need economic development and services in Puna so as to cut the driving.

#2.
The state education system is grossly under serving Puna. While I do not have the figures at hand, suggest a look at Puna's H.S. dropout rate, post-secondary education by Puna H.S. grads, as compared to rest of state and/or island; and expect the results to be bad news.

#3.
Pahoa State Agricultural Park has more vacant lots than all the rest of the Parks state wide.

#4.
Puna Coast -- Kapoho, Pohoiki, Kahena, Kalapana. Heavily used and abused. Pono is needed.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
Hi Dr. Weatherford,

You wrote: #1.
State Highway 130 is a disaster -- in its current enineering and in the State Dept of Highways plans to do 'improvements' to allow more cars to go faster. The community has repeatedly expressed a big NO to more cars going faster. We need economic development and services in Puna so as to cut the driving.

Why are these mutually exclusive? Why can't the DOT develop a safe road to moderate and control traffic patterns while others implement economic development and services in Puna. 130 is currently entirely unsafe. Traffic engineering is needed to deal with the current traffic patterns. Would widening the road, using traffic lights at key intersections [the ones where all the accidents happen], sufficent left turn pockets allowing for traffic flow with no back up of through traffic, bike lanes, not responsibly address the current travel capacity? Subdivisions out here are already fairly set as to potential in maximum build out. If maximum build out were to happen with no responsible re-engineering of 130 with allowance for community commerce/service centers [strip malls/shopping/services like Malama Market Place, Orchidland Center]road rage would be Puna Makai's newest big issue.

I agree we should learn to create community centers with services and commerce closer to home. It is starting to happen. But, until the price of fuel is so prohibitive it counters the savings people will reap they are going to 'work' in town, shop in town and seek entertainment-recreation in town. We need a mass transit system to be sure but again I ask, is the responsible re-engineering of 130 AND a mass transit system mutually exclusive? It may be more realistic for 130 to be developed responsbily in a shorter time than to expect a plan for mass transit, from concept to approval to funding to fruition, to come online. I am thinking about Honolulu right now and how for the entire 17 yrs I have lived in Hawaii they still have no real mass transit other than a beleagured Bus system. A friend told me in a single day at a few weeks ago ridership went up 1200 and the Buses servicing the routes wound up having to pass by pick up/drop off points due to being filled to maxium ridership. I use this example to show that things get done here at a snails pace. I will concede this point, it appears some of the candidates running for mayor, council seats and legislature seem to be ready willing and desirous of getting the job done. The learning curve, the other slices of pie and the ever present budget shortfalls will no doubt dampen their desire to be forward going.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I just wanted to toss out the question. I know you will blow me away with your response but I look forward to it because you will no doubt give me something to think about -- not that my mind is vacuous. Smile

By the way, I likely share something with many who post and read here, I am from a small town in California but spent most of my adult life in the three largest cities of California. I have seen the impact poor planning has had on communities where traffic flow is concerned. I have also seen positive impact when visionary people got involved and made things happen. I believe there are visionary people here and I think they are moving and shaking. In my ignorance the growing 'controlled growth' mantra being promoted alarms me. Is it possible the 'controlled growth' initiative may be too nearsighted?

Our task must be to free ourselves...by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty. --Albert Einstein
"Q might have done the right thing for the wrong reason, perhaps we need a good kick in our complacency to get us ready for what's ahead" -- Captain Picard, to Guinan (Q Who?)
Aloha critterliver,

Your ask "Why are these mutually exclusive? Why can't the DOT develop a safe road to moderate and control traffic patterns while others implement economic development and services in Puna?"

First, and absolutely critical: Real money, i.e., appropriations and Political capital. There is only so much of either and what little gets gotten needs to do what will do the best for the longest for the most at least cost...
Second, the land use planning involved in 4-lane highways versus local economies is diametrically opposed.
Finally, as for DOT making the road safer, that is NOT what they are on about. Their priority is, precisely, "capacity", based on volume and speed, not safety nor local service.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
Aloha Everyone,

Thank you for your posts. I deeply appreciate your questions, concerns, and input.

To Damon: Property crimes are an unfortunate, frustrating, and dangerous aspect of lives here in Puna. Although it is true that our police force is greatly understaffed, it is our obligation as citizens to look after our communities well-being and safety. So while I do support the strengthening of Puna’s law enforcement, I also strongly believe in personal responsibility and initiative as a means of crime prevention. My family and I have actively participated in Leilani’s Neighborhood Watch for years until very recently (we had to take a break to care for my brother, who was just diagnosed with cancer.) Programs such as these employ the skills and resources of community members while deterring crime and increasing self-reliance.
With greater community unity, involvement and collaboration, we can take back our district and eliminate criminal acts throughout Puna.

To Dr. Weatherford and Critterlover: I understand where both of you are coming from on the issue of Highway 130. There have been many calls for Highway-widening; this is a ‘solution’ that I am highly skeptical of. It seems unreasonable to assume that even with a four-lane route, Highway 130 will be able to sustain Puna’s unprecedented population growth for more than a decade or two. It won’t be long before two lanes become four, and four lanes become six. The question is: How many of our resources are we willing to give up to meet our traffic demands? That’s not to mention the air, sea, and land pollution that also goes hand-in-hand with large freeways.

The right and intelligent course of action is to get people out of their cars and into a quick, safe, and inexpensive island-wide transit system. Iceland’s current hydrogen-powered bus system is an incredible model for our island to follow. Our abundance of water resources makes such an operation entirely feasible and inclusively beneficial.

The implementation of renewable-energy powered mass-transportation is my highest priority for the Puna district. I know that this is no simple task; it will take several years, millions of dollars, and unwavering commitment to establish this system. Yet these efforts will be well-worth the many environment, infrastructural, and economic benefits to Puna.

Dr. Weatherford, you are absolutely right about our school system here in Puna. As both a student and part-time teacher, I understand the ailments of public education, and I am committed to revitalizing Puna’s schools. A critical step that must be made this legislative session is the restructuring of the DOE to allow equal funding for all students in both traditional and charter schools.

Although I am running as a democrat, I appreciate the traditional Republican values of small government, low taxes, and self-determination. This relates to your final concern about the use and abuse of the Puna coastline. We pay thousands of dollars in taxes each year to care for these treasured resources; and we all know how that works out. Good luck finding a clean stall to change in at Pohiki!

I can’t say that as a State Representative, I will clean our beaches, because I don’t believe that such action is the role of the State. What I can promise is the
Legislative support needed to allow our communities help themselves.
The Puna coastline is our property, and it is our duty to protect them. We must be willing to take innovative steps to care for these areas. One such step is to establish public-private beach maintenance contracts. We must make it possible for local family earn these daily or weekly cleaning contracts. Not only does this provide new jobs for our residents; it also creates a sense of community ownership of our resources. Beachgoers will begin to personally look after the property because “Aunty cleans this place,” or “Uncle works here.”

I will provide the critical support for these community initiatives and partnerships in the Legislature. The rest is up to us as a whole.

Mahalo and take care,
Anthony Marzi

Mr. Marzi,

Mahalo for taking the time to respond to the questions posed.

Wish the best for your brother. Ohana is important and I'm glad that you are taking care of your Ohana while also thinking about the general community.

You give hope to people like me who often see some of the younger generation of kids as a bunch of punks.

-------
It is the way, the way it is
quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Marzi

Aloha Puna!

I am happy to see such a sincere interest from people as they "shop" for the right candidate for Puna. I will be available on this forum to answer your questions and share my platforms and commitments to this district. More importantly, I seek to listen to your concerns and thoughts for Puna so that I may truly represent you in the Hawaii State Legislature.

I envision Puna as a state model of medical, agricultural, economic, and infrastructural self-reliance and sustainability. I believe that with the support of the state government, we can create a Puna that is able to provide health care for all of its residents in a 24-hour hospital that is equipped with emergency facilities, dialysis machines, and a maternity ward.
I envision a strong Puna and a unified Puna that is able to survive through any economic threats that the world may throw at us. This can be achieved by encouraging the growth of our own foods, production of island products, and support of local entrepreneurs. I picture a Puna that is thriving with full employment because of a surge in island exports and business. Just by producing, processing, and packaging our own food, we can create over 30,000 jobs in our state.
My vision of Puna is one of optimism and understanding; optimism that this and future generations will be able to live and work in the district in which they were raised; and understanding that it will take years of commitment, hard work, and perseverance to reach these goals. I am dedicated to all of Puna�s generations, and I know that if we unite to utilize our intellect, cultural teachings, technical skills, we will be able to administer smart development while reducing blind growth in our district.

If you share my vision of Puna, I humbly and gratefully ask for your support and vote.

Feel free to contact me any time through my website, e-mail, or telephone. All of my contact information is available at http://www.AnthonyMarzi.com.

Mahalo and take care,
Anthony Marzi

Diana G. Allegra
Diana G. Allegra