Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pahoa Mayoral Debate canceled
A mayoral debate had been planned for the Akebono Theater in Pahoa on August 16th. It has been canceled. Lack of response is the reason. The debate was to be a collaborative effort by Mainstreet Pahoa Assoc. and Friends of Puna's Future.

The only candidate for mayor who agreed to attend was Angel Pilago. All others either declined or did not respond.

We do thank Angel Pilago for his willingness to come to Puna and discuss the issues.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
This should give us some indication of who thinks the voters of Puna are worthy of full inclusion in the political process. Mr. Pilago once again shows us he cares enough to show up in Puna, and he's from Kona side! I am very disappointed in the other candidates, especially Billy Kenoi whose family roots are in Kalapana.

Rob, did any of those who declined give reasons? I could understand a major scheduling conflict, but not responding at all is just lame. I guess some of them are just not ready to answer the tough questions that Puna residents often pose at such events.

Cheers for Angel Pilago and jeers for the rest,
Jerry
I was not involved personally in the communications. I do recall being told that at least one had previous commitments.

Punaweb moderator
Why not hold it anyway and give Mr. Pilago the whole forum? That would be fair if nobody else bothered to respond. Set up a desk with names for all the candidates by their empty chairs. Get the paper to come and take photos.
Interesting suggestion. I will pass it on....

Punaweb moderator
Thanks, Angel, for further confirming my belief in the difference you will make as Mayor.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
I second Robguz's suggestion ....

unless the other candidates had responded with previous committments.
After tonights overflow crowd for the PCDP meeting with Councilwoman Naeole ... you can't say that there aren't many interested voters here in PUNA!

-------
Rally For the Plan
I agree with robguz. Mainstreet Pahoa Assoc. and Friends of Puna's Future should do it anyway to see if any of the other guys will attend. This shows who's going to "show-up" for PUNA in the future!!

localboy
localboy
Of course do it anyway... this is a no-brainer... robguz, damon, James,,, thanks for your quick replies... anyone know the number of registered voters in our neck of Puna?