Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Election Bus
Does anyone here have any idea what it would cost for election day for a small bus to make the route around Kalapana/red road/Kapoho/HB/HS/Nanawale/HPP/Ainaloa - to voting sites? One that might make say 3 trips from the different spots during the election day so that those without transportation can vote?

Any thoughts?

Catherine Dumond
Blue Water Project Management
808 965-9261
"We help make building your dream home a reality"
I think the 15-passenger buses rent for around $200 a day. I may be wrong... You'd have to also provide a driver and gas. 25 passenger buses from something like the tour companies start at around $800 a day. I only know this second-hand as our rhododendron society is doing a conference with tours in late September. I like the idea, but would certainly support a non-partisan group doing such a community service. Another approach might be to widely publicize the Hele-on schedules, as a way of utilizing the walk-in voting before the actual day.

Does anyone know if the new elections office in Malama will be a walk-in site? That would be soooooo great!

Jane

Yes Jane - the new elections office at the Pahoa marketplace will be open for walk-in/absentee voting from 9/8 to 9/18 weekdays from 8 am to 4 pm. Because the Pahoa HIS Cafeteria will no longer be a polling place, most of the people who previously voted there will have to go to the Pahoa community center. There will be extra staff, but still only one ballot counting machine and only one DRE (electronic voting machine), so there will be lines and a lot of backlog - especially considering the changes to the ballot wwhich will confuse lots of people and result in lots of spoiled ballots. Therefore, I strongly recommend that people vote ahead of time and avoid the lines and the stress.
Cat -

This is a fantastic, worthwhile idea! Count on me for a contribution of up to $100, if you go through with it.

Only question I see is how to get the info out and the names of the potential users organized. Anyone else have any thoughts?