Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They're trying to kill the messenger!
Hello all,
I work for **** ***** today newspaper, and got word this AM that Big Island Weekly needs to remove their vending machines from most locations throughout our the island. The word is that it's because of the recent endorsement of one candidate and the expose reports of another. I dont need to mention the names of the candidates, but I wanted to find a way to let the public know the type of political manuverings that has been going on. This bothers me because we (in the newpaper industry) tries hard to convince the general public that we provide fair and unbiased reporting. Actions like this should put up some red flags. Some people criticize Kubat for "nit picking" and "smears", but in actuality she's reports on issues that the public needs to know. We, in the field of reporting, dont want to feel manipulated or controlled. When situations, such as this arise, it ruffles our feathers because if this can happen to one paper it can happen to another, and jobs are placed in jeopardy. We should be able to report on factual information without the fear of reprisal from "Big Brother". Good luck Kubat and BIW, and dont let the "Man" stop the reporting.
Who is telling the vendors this?

Isn't it the vendors choice?

-------
Glob
The property owners, not the store owners, had them removed.
Go to the stores, e.g., Borders, and ask where the papers are and if a stack of BIW can be made available inside the store.

A piece of paper with the words of truth written on it can be stolen, but truth can never be stolen.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
So some business owners want it removed from their private property? or is it more than that?

Mr. Clarks has made some strong statements. Does he have anything to back them up? Such as identifying "Big Brother" and the "Man"? How about elaborating on the "political maneuverings"? It is irresponsible to cast such aspersions without some proof or at least detail.
Dr W's -

Account here is credible enough for me.

-------
Glob
Two thoughts...

1- WTF? Now I'll have to go out of my way to get the BIW. Maybe that means I'll just pick up whatever I need at the stores nearest the boxes.

2- Wow - free press is powerful enough to scare 'em li'dis!!!!

Congratulations BIW.
Uluhe Design
Native Landscape Design
uluhedesign@yahoo.com
quote:
Originally posted by Mitzi M

1- WTF? Now I'll have to go out of my way to get the BIW. Maybe that means I'll just pick up whatever I need at the stores nearest the boxes.

You can stay home and save gas as well as paper by reading it online here

The article that seems to have started this whole thing is here

-------
Glob
I would like to know SPECIFICALLY from Mr. Clarks or Ms. Kubat the peoples' names calling for removal of their vending machines. To be frank, it sounds more like a ploy by BIW's own OWNERS to stifle her reporting, which is so counter to the Stephens/DonRey Media history!
" " "
Ditto

-------
Glob