Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pilago vs. Kenoi Debate VIDEO NOW AVAILABLE
Just Passing this on:

Thursday, October 16, Kealakehe High School, 6 p.m., for a
moderated mayoral candidate forum between Angel Pilago and Billy Kenoi.
The event begins at 5 p.m. with the award-winning culinary class from
Kealakehe High selling lasagna (both vegetarian and regular) as a
fund raiser to go to state and national competitions. Not mandatory, but
if you plan to eat please let the Kona Kohala Chamber know at 329-1758.
The students have promised to have ample supplies of lasagna. They will
also sell water.
The forum will air live on LAVA 105.3 FM islandwide and also online
www.lava105.com from 6 pm til 7:30 for those who cannot attend in person.
Following our debate, there will be a discussion of one ballot issue,
whether to have or not have a Constitutional Convention starting at 7:35
pm. The forum is pau at 8 p.m.
As a reminder, the forum organizers (Kona-Kohala Chamber of Commerce, Kona, Outdoor Circle, PATH, Kona Board of Realtors, Hawaii Island Board of
Realtors) request no campaign signs at the forum. However, feel free to
wear campaign attire. You may direct questions about the forum to our
campaign office or to Kona-Kohala Chamber at 329-1758 or email
sherryb@lava105.com.

-------
My Blog
After listening to the debate, of which Sherry Bracken did an excellent job of moderating. I was more impressed with Billy Kenoi's answers, I felt that Angel Pilago focused more on West Hawaii issues and needs.
Bracken was great. Angel sounded quite tired... must have been exhausted. I do wish he could get more rest before these events.

I thought I consistently heard Angel speaking of Kona, Kau and Puna as a triad of inequities myself. I do know that the Puna Community Development plan would not have passed council without him. One of the reasons I support Angel Pilago is that he is the best possible support for community planning on this island and community efforts are what is needed north, south, east and west.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Certainly, I heard a lot about the entire island and no focus on West side.

If hikatz had a real name maybe it could give some examples?

I want to have a look at the Big Island Video News clip and check some words. Angel seemed very comfortable with discussing the County budget (understandable since he has been working with it). Billy sounded very unfamiliar with the budget and relied completely on what Bill Takaba had told him.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
You can check out Big Island Video News here for the entire debate on video.

-------
My Blog
Quote (originally posted by James Weatherford) "If hikatz had a real name maybe it could give some examples" You don't have to worry about It, since It is not a citizen, It cannot vote but, It can express and discuss It's opinion with It's friends.[Big Grin] Hunter may be biased on his take of the debate, but he makes some valid points. (http://hunterbishop.com/journal/2008/10/...ebate.html) Angel also brought up the need for a University in Kona, something he hopes to achieve if he becomes Mayor.
What's the difference between Angel Pilago and Billy Kenoi?

Is Angel Pilago a lawyer? No.
Is Billy Kenoi a lawyer? Yes.

Is Angel Pilago a proven leader? Yes.
Is Billy Kenoi a proven leader? No.

So, Angel Pilago is a leader and Billy is a lawyer.

Is Angel Pilago's political campaign funded primarily by big donors and off-island donors? No.
I Billy Kenoi's political campaign funded primarily by big donors and off-island donors? Yes.

So, Angel Pilago is independent of big money donors and Billy Kenoi is beholden to big money donors.

++

Mayor Pilago would be a proven leader, independent of big money donors.
Mayor Kenoi would be a lawyer, beholden to big money donors.

Angel Pilago for Mayor!

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
James, in light of recent revelations, such as they are, shouldn't that be Pilago is PARTIALLY independent of big money donors?

Of course, that's kinda like someone being a little pregnant.
Welcome to the real world Dave. Angel admitted his mistakes and is not repeating them. Kenoi took in another 40 grand just before the primary.

To quote today's Hawaii Tribune Herald:

As has been the case throughout the campaign, much of the late money for Kenoi came from unions and real estate developers. Kenoi's contributors in the final two weeks include: Armond Gallegos of Reef Development, Hawaii Operating Engineers, Brian Baker of Waimea, a "self-employed investor," and Pacific Rim Land Hawaii CCF Fund of Wenatchee, Wash., $4,000, each; Hawaii Carpenters Market Recovery, International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftsmen Local 1, Masons Local 630, M. David Paul, a Santa Monica, Calif., developer, and Eric Salveson, a Beverly Hills mortgage banker, $2,000 each.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Speaking of the real world, so much for your arguments that those weren't developer donations.

And watch the tape of the debate. Pilago's comments, which come about halfway through the Kenoi contribution segment, show he is still not taking responsibility for his actions. He JUST FOUND some developer money? Do you think anyone actually believes that? What about the special interests he is still taking money from?

Bottom line, his actions show he is still more interested in money and votes than in keeping his word.