Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U of H Hilo Library
I work out of my home office most of the time but this morning we had a power outage here in Leilani Estates. When something like that happens and prevents me from using my notebook computer I generally head to the Hilo Public Library to work. Today though the Public library was closed (for some reason). Well it was starting to become "one of those days" till I decided to give the U of H Hilo Library a try.

I have lived on the island for 11 years now but had never made it to the University before today. I guess I never had any reason to go there. Well after asking at several gas stations how to get there I finally made it. It's a real nice library with lots of space for quiet work. It was a lot bigger than I expected and there are lots of work desks with some having a place for you to plug a computer in. I even splurged and had a very tasty lunch in the school cafeteria. Macadamia nut encrusted chicken with mango chutney and two sides all for about $5. Great deal!

The one draw back is that I had to shell out $3 for parking. This all leads me to my $64,000 question. Is there anybody that reads these Punatalk messages familiar with UH Hilo - and if so could said person please advise where I might park in future in order to avoid paying the $3? Preferably somewhere where I won't return to find my car with no wheels and the windows all busted in or worse yet return to find no car at all.

TIA.

All the best,
Andrew

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
I don't know anything about UHH. However, if you are driving from LE to Hilo, you must be passing right by Pahoa. If the Pahoa Public Library facilities are satisfactory for your work, and you have no other need to go on to Hilo, you could not only save the $3 (there is free parking at the Pahoa Library) but also the cost of the gas for a 40-mile round-trip between Pahoa and Hilo.

Howard
Hi Howard:

So how is Philadelphia? Hope all is well with you.

yes I am familiar with the Pahoa library. I was there once but it was a little noisy and I didn't see a place to plug my computer in. But thanks for the feedback.

Aloha,
Andrew

quote:
I don't know anything about UHH. However, if you are driving from LE to Hilo, you must be passing right by Pahoa. If the Pahoa Public Library facilities are satisfactory for your work, and you have no other need to go on to Hilo, you could not only save the $3 (there is free parking at the Pahoa Library) but also the cost of the gas for a 40-mile round-trip between Pahoa and Hilo.

Howard

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Hi Andrew,

Philadelphia is wonderful as usual. It is by far my favorite mainland city, and the only place I'd ever want to live that isn't on an island in the Pacific.

As for the Pahoa Library, I've never tried to do any work there, so I didn't know whether the facilities would meet your needs, but I thought it might be worth a try. I also liked the Hilo Public Library.

I was surprised to hear that you could get into the UHH library. The last time I went to the library at Temple University, my alma mater, was a few years ago, on a day when I was spending the entire day on campus attending a CLE course in the law school building. I had a letter confirming my attendance with me, but they still didn't want to let me in until I showed them my General Alumni Association membership card. This was prior to 9/11, so I don't think it was a security issue as much as one of the University not wanting to provide services to the general public.

Howard
OK, I am bringing this forward to Help some about the libraries, but am doing it with a huge caveat...The UH-Hilo library is in the middle of a huge, complete overhaul, and so has only 2/3 of the space & does not have any access to the research periodicals. For info on the rennovation:
http://library.uhh.hawaii.edu/lib_renova...pdates.htm
The library is usually open from 8-10:30 M-R, 8-5 F, 9-5 Sat. & 2-10:30 Sun. The library is open to everyone.
There is free parking after 4pm and on weekends. There is very limited (usually scooped up early by students) free street parking. (Forgot to add: Most Island buses and all buses in Puna stop at the University, for a free ride & no parking! There are buses to and from the mall & the bus terminal fairly often - more often than from Pahoa...if you only want the no parking fee thing)
They do allow community use of the library. The community use is found here:
http://library.uhh.hawaii.edu/lib_servic...s/ocbs.htm
For information on registering as a resident student at the University of Hawaii at Hilo:
http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/studentaffairs...idency.php

For information and the form to register to vote:
http://www.hawaii.gov/elections/forms/vo...cation.pdf

Edited by - carey on 09/19/2007 16:49:20
The library in kea au is relatively quiet mid afternoon timeframe and i think there are 4 computers to use for 1 hour timeframe for free.

I personally like going to the hilo library and treating myself to lunch at kaikodo when it was still open so will have to find a replacement lunch if anyone can suggest something good downtown outside of cafe pesto....

noel

Whats wrong with Cafe Pesto? We love cafe pesto downtown for lunch. Their lunchtime fish specials are excellent as well as their soups and salads.

i just wanted to try something new in the area thats as creative as cafe pesto and also good quality....cheaper if possible.

you could try Puka Puka kitchen ...
but for a sit down lunch with ambience I can't think of anything in the area ...

Naung Mai Thai has good food ... you know, the one on Kilauea on the back side of Garden Exchange.

hi kathy,

thanks for the suggestion, i'll try those...how's your new home coming along, are you still building the guest/ohana?