Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More affluent people moving to Puna?
A few days ago, my friend who lives in Puna commented that there seemed to be more of an influx of more affluent people into the area in just the past couple of weeks or so - is that true, or just one person's view of the ebb and flow of people? If so, this could affect the funky, countercultural/multicultural quality, as well as affordability of the area. She has been living in the area for a couple of years.
My husband always says that an area in question(where one is contemplating moving to)can always change one way or the other and usually does - Anyone's comments on changes in the Puna area welcome!

health-conscious visionary artist in transition
Cara,

Just some honest thoughts about those comments......

Let's hope that we don't dwell on those kinds of thoughts too long. If that is where you are coming from and/or what you seek, you might want to see the other side of the island where money lives and breathes. In wondering what others have in monetary value, we lose what Hawaii is all about. You really need to get to know the Aloha spirit of the people, for that is where the fortunes lie. Besides when do you ever really know how much someone else's is worth and then if that is all that they are out to impress you with, well you just might miss the true meaning of friendship and what the world is all about. Stop and smell the flowers and the beauty that the day brings in Hawaii. Hawaii holds a treasure that not all can understand nor see, but it is there so subtlely, as in it's spirit and nature. All the money could not trade that feeling of the love for her and the love that she gives. I hope that the money stays away from this niche and that it finds the life here unbareably slow and intolerable so that it gets bored and finds a better fit.

I am afraid that this side of the island is trying to avoid that type of lifestyle of the rich and famous, but is more a hold out of what is that gracious life of the "old Hawaii" and what we all hold dear about it. It would be a misfortune to have it turn otherwise.

I wish you Aloha,
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheLanai
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
There is no question that more affluent people are moving into Puna whether we like it or not. All one needs to do is to observe the way real estate prices have gone up exponentially and that in itself is proof.

Good or bad it is so.

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Attitude matters more than money. I find it more useful to evaluate whatever cultural impact all this brings in terms of people's values and respect for one another than by how economically affluent they may be.

Yes, real estate values are up, and there are consequences of that, but it does NOT automatically mean that the funky, individualistic character of Puna will be lost. Some people with more money than we are used to seeing around here will happily blend in with the unique spirit of the place. Others will not. It is our shared responsibility to hang on the values that make this one of the most special places on earth. Hopefully the newcomers, affluent or otherwise, will catch the spirit.

My biggest regret is that the run-up in real estate has priced some really nice people out of their dream of coming here, and is causing some life-long residents to be unable to afford a home of their own.

Aloha,
Jerry

Agreed.

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Cara, I am not a real estate person, but I have not seen any influx "in the past couple of weeks", and the housing market has settled a bit from last summer & fall, when Puna & all of Hawaii experienced a huge jump in property sales & housing prices rose fairly quickly. I am sure that our resident real estate guru's can fill you in more.
The Puna area is still funky, counter/multicultural, just not quite as affordable as it was in a couple of years ago, but still an island bargain. Hope this answers your questions & calms your worries.
ALoha, Carey

I am so-o glad to hear folks' comments on this so far! Lucy's comments in particular are really wonderful. No, neither my husband or I are in the camp that belongs on "the other side of the island where money lives and breathes". It was exactly that unseen Hawaiian treasure that I deeply appreciated on our leisurely 3-week visit there back in January, and truly wish to experience alot more of!

IMHO, there has been a influx of what I can the "orange county" (gated) mentality... so far I have seen Hakalau and 29 Flats (on the Hamakua Coast) closed off now, and new comers (and some oldtimers to be fair) really are pushing for Kapoho vacationland to be gated along with many other areas. I know there are many other places this has happened to like Kua Bay on the Kona side. It seems like areas just keep getting closed off and less and less area for all but the rich and affluent to use.

I hope Puna stays funky and multi-cultural and I like seeing the kids surfing and hanging out at the beach instead of relegating them to the Pahoa Park and pool and all the meth and heroin up there.

Okay dont get me on a rant here!!!! lol

Today's TH has an article that says access to Hakalau has been restored. Anybody can drive down there like before.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/arti...ocal01.txt

Aloha Cara,
I for one, am very curious about what your friend in Puna told you. How is it that your friend is able to tell if people are affluent or not? What is this statement based on? Because as AkoniV so eloquently put it, 'there are many affluent people that don't flaunt it' and are here in Puna because they love the slower paced "Old Hawaii" lifestyle. And in my experience, there are many people who would like you to believe they are affluent, who are really just trying to look like they are. Yes, Puna is changing and will continue to change more, that's a given, but we only have control of how we perceive the change and accept it with the Aloha that brought us all here. And remember, Aloha comes in all shapes and sizes.

Aloha nui loa,
Paula
PunaPaula