Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contradictions of Historic Preservation and Sustai
Contradictions of Historic Preservation and Sustainability in Pahoa

My own association with, and love for, Pahoa began 40 years ago this month, April, 1974. Newly discharged from the military, I came to Hawaii Island looking for a new start. At that time, Pahoa Village and the surrounding area was dominated by the sugar industry. Cane fields came right up to the back of the houses in the alleys behind the stores. Giant trucks, nearly as tall as the storefronts and laden with cane, rumbled through town rattling windows. Mud poured out of the trucks onto the road. There was no bypass; and the cane was harvested by ripping it out of the ground, roots, soil and all.
I, like many other people around the world, have come to be concerned about the impact of human activities on the Earth’s living systems. The focal point of this concern that developed globally in the latter 20th and early 21st centuries has frequently been couched in terms of “sustainability”.
With the coming of the 21st century, the wooden boardwalks and storefront facades along Pahoa Village Road have captured the sentimental attention of well-meaning, civic-minded folks. The cry has gone out for “historic preservation”.
The history of the Pahoa Village we see today was created by logging Ohia Lehua and producing sugar cane – both done in an extractive manner destructive to the land. Neither logging nor sugar cane production were what any genuine description would describe as “sustainable”, which is defined by Merriam-Webster.com as “1. : capable of being sustained. 2. a : of, relating to, or being a method of harvesting or using a resource so that the resource is not depleted or permanently damaged b : of or relating to a lifestyle involving the use of sustainable methods.”
Sentimentalizing those wooden boardwalks and storefront facades ignores, or worse, honors, the environmentally destructive activities that brought those boardwalks and storefront facades into existence.
In the most basic and material way, resources committed to historic preservation are not used for future sustainability. Moreover, historic preservation, at least in the case of Pahoa, may well even glorify a very unsustainable past and turn well-intended civic action away from sustainability.
I see a serious contradiction between historic preservation and sustainability in Pahoa.
Where to from here, preservation of an unsustainable history or generation of a sustainable future?

termites should fix it..... "there aint nothin here a D-9 cant fix" best understatment Ive ever heard - couldn't resist
As someone who is temporarily (I hope) in a wheel chair, those boardwalks make Pahoa town center completely inaccessible to me. I can't even think of trying to go to Nings or traveling between virtually any two places in the town center because a wheelchair just can't make it. I can go to Luquins or Kaleos, but not from one to the other.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Pahoa is what it is. I don't really like the place or care to go there that often, but it does maintain a link to a past that might be worth remembering. Preserving the boardwalks, etc., would not necessarily be an endorsement of the eco practices or economic conditions that caused them to be there. We preserve lots of places with downright evil histories such as slave markets and concentration camps. Of course those are extreme examples, but you get the idea. I'm not a fan of Pahoa, but think it's worth preserving. And besides, sooner or later Pele will get it and the rest of Puna, too.
My understanding is Kea'au village was just like Pahoa village, except infested with more termites and the decision was to just bulldoze it down. Keeping Pahoa the way it is doesn't really have any great tie to the sugar cane plantations and plantation villages other than the buildings, nothing really acknowledges the sugar cane plantation era. It is going to be like a lot of places with an old village and a new village. Seems to work for a lot of towns on the mainland, the old part staying artsy with specialty services and food places, and a new part with new develoment. Doesn't seem like much change beyond the Brison's center and the roundabout. Nobody trying to change old village much except for different new people taking a shot at a small business and other parts being suddenly vacated. It seems extra congestion can be expected for quite awhile.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Chunkster pretty much nailed it. James' reasoning is flawed. Following that reasoning would leave us with little tangible history. Carol's reasoning is valid. It leave us with a value judgment to be weighed and balanced. Or perhaps the town has little historical value and it's time for leveling and gentrification.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I grew up in santa barbara ca .... right about the time they wanted to renew their fading infrastructure.

The buildings beyond hope and economic rescue were replaced - with architecture very strictly confined to spanish colonial

McDonalds challenged the constitutionality and lost - the sb mcducks got a spanish tile roof and no arches....

we went from a sleepy town (50 thousand population when I was there going to school - to a central coast gem that is very upscale....(go Isla Vista - grin)

the new Puna kfc et all big fail if you ask me.......

zoning and ccrs the key to preservation - make it more expensive to build new - than save the old...a good road map pioneered by the city of SB
quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

We preserve lots of places with downright evil histories such as slave markets and concentration camps. Of course those are extreme examples, but you get the idea.

Yeah, in writing, I also thought about these exact types of examples.
However, those places are preserved and recorded for history for what they are - examples of misdirected and wrongful human endeavors that are not to be emulated. Not sure that is the message being sent in Pahoa.
I believe the saving of onerous historical sites -

validated by the desire not to repeat the killing of 11 million people or so for example

nothing like a stroll through a concentration camp - one can not romance that history - unless its ones political weirdness

A plantation style architecture would be very romantic - we sell dreams in this country - not reality - hence the monuments to mans failings from the rest of the world to keep us honest

ok now its really manana
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

However, those places are preserved and recorded for history for what they are - examples of misdirected and wrongful human endeavors that are not to be emulated. Not sure that is the message being sent in Pahoa.

Do you seriously think anyone is going to connect the preservation of Pahoa with any sort of profound social message?