Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pool in Pahoa
Aloha all,

I will soon have to be deciding on a teaching job either toward Kea'au/Hilo or the other way in Pahoa (our home will be built in HPP, Maku'u and 3rd). One question I have is the availability of a pool for lap swimming. This is one way I like to exercise and relax after a day with the kiddos. I know there's a pool in Pahoa but have not been.

Is it well-maintained/clean? Is there always a first-come section roped off for adult lap swimming? Is there a community pool the other direction? Mahalo for any feedback!

Linda in CO, in Puna by July...
Linda, the Pahoa pool is one of the newest & best public pools on island. One thing to note, they are very timely at closing, so you are out 15 mins before posted closing (first couple of times I had counted on a 30 min swim, and only got in 15, still good....but now I know to plan better!) Hilo also has 2 community pools downtown, one by the stadium & the other (small) one is right next to the airport. All are in good repair, and all are free, they have lap lanes & adult only swim times, but do check the web, as they can close for meets & such, and some times there are team practices.
And of course there is always the ocean, in Hilo Bay, Carlsmith is a very shallow, wave protected & guarded sand bottom beach that is a favorite for swimming, and Richardsons is the east side jewel for snorkeling.
We used to rent just below beach & Maku'u, that is a great area, with a lot of good neighbors (one of your close neighbors you will see a lot at Home Depot, where he works!!!)
Aloha, Carey