Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cruise ship spotting
I've never seen a cruise ship go past Puna (notably HPP) at night except once, by accident. I've tried to figure out from the web when they should be coming past but no luck so far. Anyone know how? Do cruise ships generally call at both Hilo and Kona, or just one or the other?

Thanks
Lately there have been plenty of cruise ships cruising the waters between Hilo and Kalapana. This is a busy time for most cruise lines offering Hawaiian cruises. The ships head toward Kalapana to see the lava flow into the ocean at night. There is one ship that is in Hilo every Tuesday, and every Tuesday night you should be able to see it cruise past HPP at around 8pm. Most of the ships leave Hilo between 5 and 6:30pm.

And, often you will see them heading back toward Hilo from Kalapana around midnight. I guess it depends on where their next port of call is. I believe they double back when the next port is Kahului in Maui.
We live in Keaukaha near the docks and frequently see the cruise ships head south around sunset. When we lived in Seaview we saw it pass just after dark most nights. When I get up before for 5 am I often see one coming in from the south, and the passengers start disembarking after breakfast. My understanding is the cruise ships usually go around South Point and avoid the channel between here and Maui to avoid seasick passengers.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
We spent the first night in our new house last night overlooking Hilo Bay. There was a cruise ship docked and we watched it leave port as we were having dinner on the deck. It was all lit up and really was fun to watch it. A large barge (also lit up) was waiting for the cruise ship to leave the harbor and then came in after it. I think it was close to 7 pm. Now we are waiting for our first sunrise over the bay.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Thanks for the tips, I'll be looking out for one on Tuesday.
Devaney, did the cruise ship turn right (South) or left (North)?
All cruise ships are on different itineraries. Some will head north out of Hilo....and some south. Also, the ship that calls on Hilo every Tuesday does change its itinerary several weeks out of the year. So, if the ship fails to appear on Tuesday...just wait a week. You will see it!
We stay HPP 6th, near Makuu.
Very often see the cruise ships sailing southward at sunset.
Frequently we are having dinner on the lanai and watch the bright lights of the cruise ships.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
It headed south from here (Hilo), but made a very big circle, if we would not have been watching closely, I am not sure we could answer. I bet they were aiming for viewing of the volcano... we hired a boat and saw it from the ocean... it was amazing. Another one docked this morning and was gone before noon... very unusual. We are awaiting our new high power binoculars... but this one had two big XX marks at the top of the ship.

quote:
Originally posted by rbakker

Thanks for the tips, I'll be looking out for one on Tuesday.
Devaney, did the cruise ship turn right (South) or left (North)?

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
The cruise ship arrivals and departures are listed in the newspaper each week so the service folks (ship suppliers, taxis, etc.) can assemble on time. The name of the ship is listed, too.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Saw one tonight (Tuesday), as predicted by Loretta, passing HPP at 7:30. Thanks.