Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black and White Night
Downtown Hilo was HOPPIN' last night! We went to Black and White night and there were at least 20 bands playing all over town. It was incredible to see thousands of people all dressed in Black and White and enjoying downtown. We peeked into the Palace Theater to see the films but the place was packed, so we moved on. I would really like to see those films! I hope they play them again. They were documentaries on sustainablility. Today there is more stuff going on and I encourage you all to go if you can find a parking place!

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com

I'm glad you had a good time. I took the family last year to the Black & White celebration,but came away hardly impressed. But then again I'm not to excited about walking elbow to elbow with a bunch of rude,drunk jerks. Sure there is a family element to the the "Black & White" night, but there is also a strong homeless,drunkard element too to the special event. If I was still single I wouldn't care less. But that is not the case, I have two small kids to worry about.
Bottomline though, my family and I have done our share of "block parties" over the years so we passed. I'm extremely happy though that newer residents of Puna/Hilo can enjoy such an evening as the "Black & White" night.

-----------

You know the only difference between Sarah Palin and Dick Cheney is ... lipstick.
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Beachboy, this year there was very little rude drunkeness, with a lot more people (very much elbow to elbow in some areas (esp. venues with CHOCOLATE!)... but you could also find a band & venue that suited you & just set a spell... and there was more police presence...

Devaney, did you hear that ALL of the bands were playing pro bono! They announced this at the 9:00 main stage.

It was a very nice night & I could not believe how complacent I had become & didn't realize all of the stores that are downtown (even though we go there to meetings & shopping quite often!)

A GOOD SHOW is due to Alice Moon & her gang & all of the tuxedo'ed boy scouts & St Joe HS'ers that were out in force to add a helpful hand.
Anyone happen to catch the hip-hop dance group Cataclysm (Kataclysm?)

Tim

Other people can talk about how to expand the destiny of mankind. I just want to talk about how to fix a motorcycle. I think that what I have to say has more lasting value.”
Robert Pirsig
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
We drove by about 7:30 Pm and downtown looked packed. We passed on stopping as we were on our way back from Kona and tired but WOW - it looked like a real block party!
quote:
Originally posted by Beachboy

.. Bottomline though, my family and I have done our share of "block parties" over the years so we passed. I'm extremely happy though that newer residents of Puna/Hilo can enjoy such an evening as the "Black & White" night.

BB-

Give Peace a Chance[Wink]

I've been to one too many Block Parties on Oahu. Big Island ones are nothing compared to that of Oahu ones.

It looks like from this video that it was a very family friendly event.

-------
My Blog
The video does look like fun. Wish I was there.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
It was a great night and believe me, I did not see any drunks and maybe only a few dregs walking around,not at all a problem. But there were LOTS of kids and couples of different ages.

Carey, no I did not know that about the bands, that is terrific. I was really impressed at the variety of venues all over town. We happend upon a great little local band of really old guys on Kilawea... they were terrific. We also spent some time upstairs at the Cultural Center... great music too, mostly Jazz. The bands at Grand Central were also fun and my husband has a new favorite food from there... Portugese Bean Soup.

I agree 100%, KUDOS to Alice Moon & her gang & all of the tuxedo'ed boy scouts & St Joe HS'ers that were out in force to add a helpful hand.

Oh... and speaking of block parties... you should see what they are like in Chicago... really great events! But I don't want to go back there for one!

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Devaney... really now, spilling the beans on the Chicago parties.... One thing that very few people here believe, it seems to me that there are more similarities between East Hawaii & Chicago (except the weather, although both have that unpredictability edge, Chicago's is a much sharper edge...) Maybe it has more to do with being a long time farming hub surrounded by farming communities....
I hope the politics isn't one of the similarities.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.