Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
senior in high school
Hi all, we might be moving before our son will finish out his education here in california. My question is....should we let him live with family here in Cali and finish or is the high school o.k. in Keaau? He is bright and has a great head on his shoulders!He is self-motivated and has assured me he won't get caught up in peer pressure. I don't want to jeopardize his future by moving him to a different school let alone a different state.Is there a home study program if the school does'nt work out? I know I sound a little paranoid and I'm trying not to sound negative.....It's a mom thing! I am so ready to move, we have the house, the job, now we need to wait on the kid (or not)!!![Big Grin]Thank you,Monique
Keaau HS is kinda tough for a new kid (more than a mild understatement) but some kids do fine there.... but it is kinda like swimming upstream against a lot of kids who have known each other for.... forever.
There are also a few charter schools, Connections, Hilo & HAAS, Pahoa are two of the best in state & an easy commute.... I would recommend looking into them (I sub teach & there is a vast difference in each of the schools here.... )

You can navigate all of the island public (& charter) schools from this website:
http://doe.k12.hi.us/myschool/map_hawaii.htm
most schools have their own website & such...

Forgot to add:
the University & community college have early entry programs that may also be a thing to look at.
Just let him get his GED and be done with it.

Education is highly over rated, especially by dumb asses.

They will invariably argue the point.
Thank you for the reply Carey.Can you supply any more info on the early entry programs? He was really excited about that! One less year of school WooHoo!!!
I am a foster parent here in the Hilo area and have had several kids in Kea'au high. It is NOT a good thing... there are tons of administrative problems. Lots of violence/fighting amongst the boys and the security guys are in the middle of it a third of the time.... parents another third. I feel bad putting this in writing, and I am a big proponent of public schools, but if I had a child who was going to be a senior, I would get him/her a GED and put them in the local college. Both UHH and the Comm College are a fine start.

Just my two cents worth....
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
quote:
Originally posted by Carey

There are also a few charter schools, Connections, Hilo & HAAS, Pahoa are two of the best in state & an easy commute....

Just a clarification... Carey meant those are schools IN Hilo/Pahoa... And I don't think she is recommending Hilo/Pahoa.

Cakelady... If you do have the option to leave your child back on the mainland and let him graduate with his friends that he has had all of his life, it might work out better for him.

I didn't like the fact that I was moved around a few times because of my mom's job choices when I was in HS.

Public Education Sucks here in Hawaii in General.

Do a "Search" on Schools on the top right of Punaweb and you will see many other threads on the subject.

One thing though... if he graduates from the Mainland school... it's gonna be hard to send him a graduation cake. [Wink]

-------
My Blog
If he's willing to go for it here and wants to, let him. It would give him an early insight into the islands, a lot of kids like it, but you don't hear from them. Not to mention self esteem (for a reason), he can start out as an insider about life here. Or it could teach him options if you don't want to hassle what is being offered.
Gordon J Tilley
The HCC early admit & running start programs are on this site:
http://www.hawaii.hawaii.edu/howtostart/howtoapply.html
The UH-Hilo site is here:
http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/studentaffairs..._early.php
One of the very nice things about the college & university in Hilo is that the class sizes are very low, most are around 20, even for gen. ed. classes, the largest classroom on the UH-Hilo campus holds just under 100.... with the brand new student center, it is getting to be a VERY nice choice.... good luck!

The running start program sounds very interesting, as the student receives BOTH HS & college credit for courses & can actually graduate from their HS.... while starting to earn their college credits...

oh, check on the residency rules, when I registered for UH-H 3 1/2 years ago the 1 yr residency clock started at date of voter registration..... they have changed around & gone back & forth on some of the details... (homeownership was, the wasn't, then was all you needed, now???? best to make doubly sure....)

& Damon is right about my unclear typing... (not gonna say if I recommend those schools..... I haven't subbed at either of those 2 HS, so really only would have heresay on them.... )

Bringing this forward for Mark (mdd), for the info on the UH (HCC) running start program....
quote:
Originally posted by Carey

Bringing this forward for Mark (mdd), for the info on the UH (HCC) running start program....

Thanks! Looking at it now.... [Smile]