Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone for a good smoke?
quote:
Opportunity May Be Knocking
[:p]

I just built a couple of cold smokers from used propane tanks. One is a single barrel and the other one is my Double Barrel Turbo Smoker. I smoked some Aku last week about forty lbs and have the capacity to do around one hundred lbs per smoke with the two smokers. They maintain temp between 150 to 190 degrees, absolutely perfect for fish. Each “heat” takes about 3 ½ hours to smoke. The fish was as my friends say “out of this world” I gave it all away for samplers and am planing to go commercial. At the moment I can smoke 300 lbs a day [10 hour day] and am in the process of building a Four Barrel Super Turbo Smoker that will handle 200 lbs per heat.

I have been a charter boat owner/operator on the Kona side for years and know most of the charter boat fishermen there. After talking with lots of them the have agreed to sell me the fish first. I am targeting A’u [pacific blue marlin] Aku [skipjack tuna] and Ahi [yellow fin tuna] these fish really smoke well and bring a fair market value.

What I may be looking for is a “working partner” or two. The fish will start coming in heavy about March and that gives us time to be prepared. The local market is big for local smoked fish, but the Las Vegas market is also big not to mention the rest of the mainland and Japan. Opportunity is knocking, but like I said, “working partner.”

Just for the fun of it I smoked a 10 lb turkey yesterday, cost 5 bucks at Safeway and it is yummie. Think that I will pick up half a dozen and stick them in the freezer.

Send me an e-mail and I’ll return it with some pictures of the smokers

E-mail tlacket@hawaii.rr.com
Phone 965-1604
Sounds awesome Tom! I sent you a note, I would love to see your inventions!

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Are there pictures of the smokers? What temperature should pork be smoked at? At some point I'd like to build a smoker in the back yard or renovate the old outhouse into a smoker but at the moment we don't have a smoker and I'm not sure how to build one.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
quote:
Originally posted by Hotzcatz

...At some point I'd like to build a smoker in the back yard or renovate the old outhouse into a smoker but at the moment we don't have a smoker and I'm not sure how to build one.

[:0]
Just don't tell your guests what the smoker used to be![xx(]

And to think everyone in the Thanksgiving thread was going to your house! [^]

-------
My Blog
Hotzcotz,

Send me an E-mail and I'll return it with pictures under reply. I've got some people that want me to build them one, but I don't have the time. I took pictures of the process while I built the Double Barrel Turbo Smoker and would be glad to share them with you. If you have some medium level of skills you can build one yourself, If not you can come by and I'll show you how while I'm doing my Four Barrel Super Turbo Smoker. It's all fun anyway.

The Lack
Old frigs work great

peace
Sure I'd love a good smoke! Oh wait... you meant... sorry. I thought you meant something else!
Build the smoker out of wood. Just fir studs is fine, you only need a box. Here, you have little trouble with heat as the ambient is plenty warm. There are very good health reasons to do so. Really. Even if it's ply. I can taste a fridge in bad smoked food and don't think it's funny.

I've done a lot of this stuff.

What we need is a pickled ahi that's good. Sorely lacking, I think.

If wood will do, then the old outhouse may be the answer. It is a small wood framed building (vertical boards twelve inches wide by one inch thick with battens on each side of the cracks) with lots of ventilation since the roof is just tin on rafters. The old outhouses built by the cane companies had toilets plumbed into a concrete floor and it is built on a hillside so there is about thirty inches of concrete foundation below the wood walls. There is a 6" iron pipe still in the floor which goes across the yard but hasn't been used for decades. That pipe is pretty clean but a good scrubbing wouldn't hurt it, I'm sure. Cut the iron pipe several feet out from the building and build a small smokey fire and channel the smoke into the pipe. Hang the pork in the outhouse and run a fire for several days. Hmm. Does the volume of the smoker make a difference? It is a "his-n-hers" double outhouse so the whole building is about five by seven although there is sort of a wall separating the two sides. Is that too big to be a smoker?

Pickled ahi? Wouldn't aku be better? Seems a pity to waste ahi on pickling when it can be cooked as ahi steak.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Actually, that sounds near perfect for a serious smoker. You'll be hard curing ham in that thing for certain!