Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava hike
In the HTH on Sunday it had a story about the boat that goes to the lava ocean entry. It even said in the story that it was the only way to get close to the lava. Yet in the photo you can see a group of hikers who are very close indeed!

Anyone know how they got there? Is some company organizing hikes?
I thought you'd have to cross private property to get there.
I think it's a telephoto shot. notice the blue outline in the upper part of the picture, that's the pali, over a mile inland.
rbakker: Could be a telephoto image as leilaniguy suggests.

Just remember the closer you get to eruption activity the more dangerous or life threatening :/ My understanding to access that lava viewing you bascially are accessing via county road and designated viewing area.

The following is a pretty good overview of the kalapana viewing area
http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lavaflows.htm

Depending on VOG conditions, dangerous conditions, etc. that area may even be closed from day to day. If you go outside of designated areas you are basically on your own (you may risk trespassing, serious injury, or even death).

Those people in the picture were taking illegal early morning tours conducted by Arnotts out of Hilo. Since being repetedly denied permission by Civil defense and even Mayor Billy, Arnotts has stopped offering the tours.

It's curious that the area they are standing on is subject to collapse, and in fact recently had an overnight bench collapse. (The entry is back behind the point). If these folks were in the same spot during a bench collapse, they would be vulnerable to falling red hot debris, and or steam and gas explosions.

Another interesting point the article brought up, was Shane Turpin's statement that the boat doesn't go closer than 100 yards in spite of the author's and hundreds of witnesses seeing it just a few feet away. It's also alarming that he travels into the plume and compares it to vinegar. I'm sure Shane is eager to cover his butt if and when there is an investigation or incedent, but I think his attitude displays a great deal of unprofessionalism.

Why does he insist that he's 100 yards off (with a wink)?
Because that's a safe distance?
Because that's an insurance requirement?
Because that's stipulated by the coast Guard?
I don't know.

I wish Lava Tours all the best, but I just don't understand why they can't conduct their tours in a safe, honest, and profesional manner, instead of lying about their SOP.

They owe their customers nothing less.

The Coast Guard has authority to prohibit any "manifestly unsafe voyage" and if this doesn't meet that description of that it would hard to find one.
LOL...

Nanny's at work...

Odds are you are much more likely to die or get hurt on the way to the boat.
As long as someone tells them its dangerous and they still want to go... let them.

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
I just saw this in today's HVO report:

Quote:
"UHH geologists and CD officials report a small bench collapse sometime between late Saturday evening and Sunday midday that sent boulders, some more than 0.5 m (1.5 ft) in diameter, inland about 50-75 m (160-250 ft)"

That's red hot boulders a foot and a half in diameter suddenly raining down right where those people were standing, and where Shane's boat was floating. This without warning and within 24 hours of the tour. It's only a matter of time.........

There's also this warning:
"HAZARD WARNING: The lave delta and adjacent areas both inland and out to sea are still some of the most hazardous areas on the flow field. Frequent delta/bench collapses give little warning, can produce hot rock falls inland and in the adjacent ocean and can produce large but local waves. The steam plume produced by lava entering the ocean contains fine lava fragments and an assortment of acid droplets that can be harmful to your health. The rapidly changing conditions near the ocean entry has been responsible for many injuries and a few deaths."

There are always people that will risk serious injury to experience a thrill, but for commercial tour companies to put people at risk is criminal. Most visitors have an understanding that the tour operators know what they are doing and are conducting a "safe" tour. (wink, wink)
We crossed posts, and you bring up a good point. My point is that the tour operators DON'T point out the dangers; their presentation is more like;

I'm the formost expert on Lava tours and you're perfectly safe with me".
The current location of the flow is on PRIVATE property. The county walkout is only through agreements with private landowners. Currently to walk out to any flow activity would be a trespass situation & put the property owners at risk of liability etc....

The flow is changing, and when this first started, the county walk out was along & up close to the flow.

The newest flow development is a mile wide slow moving pahoehoe flow that is creeping back toward NVP property. The park does allow visitors to hike to the flow when it is on their property, so maybe in a little while there will be a long (I have heard 6 or so mile) hike to the lava flow....
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

We crossed posts, and you bring up a good point. My point is that the tour operators DON'T point out the dangers; their presentation is more like;

I'm the formost expert on Lava tours and you're perfectly safe with me".

they don't know the dangers.. nor do they care.. it's the same in all businesses that are driven by the desire for money.. fudge a little on da truth.. it's no big thing.. everyone does it.

considering how many people read the trib one can hope there is someone who is taking the wink wink seriously and all that sweet sweet publicity shane got will go a long ways towards someone putting his brakes on. I saw a bench collapse and the disturbance it caused in the ocean come so close to taking his boat out.. I am sure he loved it.. ride em cowboy.. hopefully sanity will prevail before the funeral rather than after.. but then maybe darwin has something to say about it.. and its best to just let pele cull the heard