Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anybody know...???
...About a meeting being held in Keaau this evening about a lower Puna alternative road? A friend who has a Sierra Club annual event tonight mentioned to me she was conflicted because of this other meeting. Anyone know about the road meeting? Thanx, Frankie
Update: I found info on a Hwy 130 meeting this evening beginning at 5:45 p.m. in Keaau where else but on Damon's blog. Thanx Damon.

Just to let people know, we really need to impress on our officials how necessary an alternative route for lower Puna is. And it would be an excellent focus for Obama's infrastructure building campaign. But if you think our state people are going to take the lead on this, think again. Lingle wouldn't even attend the governors' conference Obama held a week or so ago. We've got to take the bull by the horns and advocate with our new Mayor for this (which he is quite sympathetic to). After all, Kenoi's the highest Hawaii County official with direct connections to Sen. Inouye, et al.

Does anyone remember the Dana Ireland case? I was sitting stuck in traffic on Keaau-Pahoa Hwy that Christmas Eve when the fire trucks and paramedics could not get through to attend to her in a timely manner. And that was one of the saddest deaths down here in modern times! Please advocate for the lower Puna route every possible chance you get. Aloha, fs
PMAR is scheduled to be talked about tonight.

The meeting is gonna be a long one and continued tomorrow [}Smile] at the same time.

I sit on the advisory panel and I'm not happy about these two meeting being the length and time they are scheduled for. [xx(]

-------
My Blog
Frankie, I posted in the Puna Community Development Plan forum about proposed Obama highway funds.....

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Damon...

what are the odds that anyone will actually talk about real solutions.. like paving the existing coastal (WaWa) road. The cheapest and easiest solution.

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
quote:
Originally posted by Jon

Damon...

what are the odds that anyone will actually talk about real solutions.. like paving the existing coastal (WaWa) road. The cheapest and easiest solution.

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"

No, no they can't pave the Beach Road, that will ruin one of the most beautiful roads in Puna!

Steve & Regina
Hawaiian Acres / North Lake Tahoe

'If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there' - George Harrison
Steve & Regina

'If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there' - George Harrison
quote:
Originally posted by Jon

Damon...

what are the odds that anyone will actually talk about real solutions..

What are the odds that other community members will come forth and be a part of things instead of bitching and complaining and not doing anything about it?

Not directed at anyone in particular... was good to see you Jon at many recent events.

-------
My Blog
If thats the case, then we don't need another road.

But...
I have been here only a short time, and my understanding is that the "Beach Road" is a county road and that the county said they would pave it or let it rot... and the choice was to let it rot.

And from what I have seen of it... its rotting fast.

The good news is that I have a long background if offroading and the condition of the road means little to me... but for 99% of the other people that live Puna, that road will be unusable in a few years.

quote:
Originally posted by Tahunatics

No, no they can't pave the Beach Road, that will ruin one of the most beautiful roads in Puna!

Steve & Regina

Transplanted Texan
quote:
Originally posted by Damon

What are the odds that other community members will come forth and be a part of things instead of bitching and complaining and not doing anything about it?

Not directed at anyone in particular... was good to see you Jon at many recent events.

Not directed at anyone in particular... sure it wasn't..

How about the old Railroad Ave? is that far enough away from 130 to be an emergency exit?

I have not been down it yet, I have hard it needs a lot of work.

Transplanted Texan
Old Railroad Rd is not a road and is no longer even a road right of way. It was a narrow railroad bed whose easement expired when the RR shut down. Between HPP and Hilo it is all privately owned.

Beach road is in a tsunami zone and federal funds for roads are not available in a tsunami zone.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator