Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20 ft Shipping Container
Since there is no particular way to tell how many household items

will fit in 20 ft container if the stuff is not packed,I am hoping that

those who used 20 ft container will share what they could fit in.

I supposed the info on 40 ft could be useful too.

Thank you in advance.
The only real way to plan such a packing situation is to put together, tediously, a packing map.

Get the size of the container. Measure the cubic size of your accumulated stuff and see how it stacks and fits.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Stillhope it depends on how well you can pack, and how much time you have. we built platforms in our 20 footer and brought a car, all the furniture from a 3 bedroom house and i even had room for a 8 foot diameter stock tank i used for my koi. our container weighed over 16,000pounds and matson told us most people get between 9-12000 pounds so we really packed it. we screwed everything together so when we took it apart, we had alot of plywood and 2x4s for other projects. oh yes, the inside of the car was totally packed to and driven in, then the drivers seat was totally packed... good grief, why did we bring all that junk!!! actually we did not regret any building supplies, the wood stove and some items you just cant get here for a reasonable price
If you end up with extra room use plastic water barrells as oversized packing peanuts. They'll be useful for collecting rainwater when you get here Smile I came out of Oakland, CA & found a lady selling them for $7 each on Craigslist. Saved my keister when I discovered I still had a few square yards to fill up.

* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
If all else fails, go down to you nearest Ryder/Penske truck rental center and ask people returning the 22' trucks what they were able to fit inside. They are about the same cubic capacity. (U-Haul is not the same cubic capacity even though the same lenght)
Thank you,everyone,for the response.
I really appreciated it.
My stuff will fit in one room,but I "still hope" to share the container.
Though I do understand that to coordinate time,place and space is not particular realistic.
stillhope thought you were here already? Or am I mistaken?
Please tell me your not heading back already?

setting my soul free....
setting my soul free....
Lostboystoy,I am still on the mainland.
And I wouldn't give up that soon.
But the move will be later than I planned because the lenders didn't plan at all[Smile]
Stillhope,

I had two professional moving companies come in and give me a free estimate as to how much it would cost to wrap, pack and load a container. I know this is not what you want to do, but hear me out. Both guys were dead on when they looked through my whole house and told me that a 20' container would not be quite enough and a few non-essential items would have to be left behind. It was that or get a 45' container for 21' of stuff. Guess what? A 20' container was packed tightly with our stuff and there was not enough room for our mops, brooms and a couple of other non-essentials. In my opinion these two guys were able to eyeball everything and give me their estimates based on their experience. It might be worth it to you to call one or two companies and have them give you and estimate so you will know approximately how much room you will have left over (if any). One of them told me that if I had to go over a 20' container (or less than a 20' container) they had a pod sort of thing available that was 10' long and about half the capacity of a 20' container. And they would try and find someone else who only needed a half container and ship our stuff together. Just a suggestion.

The Kona Forum
http://www.konaforum.com

The Ka'u Web
http://www.kauweb.com

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former". --Albert Einstein
Has anyone had any experience getting a "pod thing" in Oregon or Washington state? We have a 5x5x8 storage space in Eugene Oregon, packed pretty tight with the personal stuff we couldn't part with and now I'm wondering how to get it here next summer.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb