Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voggy New Year's Eve
I live in the top part of HPP. I went out with the dogs about midnight and was surprised by thick vog, you could actually see it rolling in the lights. At that point it was raining pretty steadily, moderate rain, not the bucket-on-your-head, deluge kind, and there was no voggy smell. But now, at 4 a.m., I can smell and taste “burnt matches” very strongly – half headachey with scratchy throat, all my usual vog symptoms. The NPS site is showing the plumes going almost straight east, not toward HPP at all. The current Civil Defense message is a flood advisory from 12/27. I can't seem to find anyplace that tells the SO2 levels real-time, especially here in HPP. Is there a monitoring station nearby? Are there any outside the national park at all? Sure would be nice to have a little information, even in the middle of the night. Hope it blows away before the fireworks smoke starts – what a combo that would be.

use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
We are on 5th in HPP and it's bad here also. Usually when the trades stop blowing ..like last night...the vog just rolls down the mountainside in all directions and everyone thats close gets vog. Fortuneately for puna residents....the trades always seem to pickup in the morning and this should blow out of HPP in a couple of hours and accumulate on the west side.
The best way to tell if it is voggy (other than sensing it directly) is to watch the plume. I peek at it every single day, because I love Pele and it reminds me of my Island home. If the plume is well defined and bent away from the camera, have a nice day! If the plume is messy or clouds or even obscures the camera....forget it -- burnt matches.

Keep your eye on the plume.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cam3/

In a way I'm glad to hear that it's the vog (probably) that we're experiencing. I keep thinking it's our cesspool that's overflowed from all the rain. The smell is sewer-ish and all-pervasive. I hope it's the vog, but also hope it retreats soon.
here in Hawaiian Shores, too and all the way to work...burns my eyes.

Carrie Rojo

"Every area of trouble gives out a ray of hope; and the one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
It was up the Hamakua coast, too. Nasty smelling this morning although now it is raining. The Fire Department is probably happy there is less likely hood of fire cracker fires with the rain.

Thanks for the weblink, Glen. At the moment it has more rain drops than anything else on the camera.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
we could taste and smell the vog last night from our new home in fern forest.
yes, we made it here on the 18th and were truly blessed in 2008 with help from a cousin and several friends on o'ahu. even the lady at aloha air cargo gave us a huge christmas present: she only charged us $75 total to ship all 6 of our animals! 3 dogs and 3 cats.

happy new year everyone!

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

Glad to hear that you are finally moved in,Kani !
And you got quite a deal : 6 bucks per tail?
But I think,cats should pay more[}Smile]

yep arrived safely. apparently the charge is around 75 bucks per animal. i've forgotten. anyway, we saved big time. still can't believe how generous people have been. not used to it.

last night we had a different sort of fireworks: lots of lightning and thunder. the vog rolled in this morning and then about an hour later it started raining.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

I thought the "smoke" was from the fireworks. Around 1am, I had a hard time seeing the road down Makuu Drive.