Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burglaries
How serious is this problem? I bought into Leilani and just recently got some property in Nanawale when the realtors told me that "it has been cleaned up."

Anyone been home burgled?

Beth T.

Hi Beth,
Your realtor is right. Nanawale has really changed its image over the last several years. Five years ago we were almost affraid to drive through there. Now it is getting really cleaned up and there is a real pride of ownership showing in most of the area. Like any development there are pockets that you wouldnt want to live in. But on the whole it is turning into a very nice area and with people like you moving in and working on your property it will get even better. I dont know about the crime rate but if you stop into the Pahoa police station when there is someone there I am sure they will be more then happy to tell you all about Nanawale. Also ask Lamont the next time you are in to his place as I think they live there.
Good Luck
Larry

Nanawale I heard same thing about cleaning up. Im not sure how true that is. Realtors will tell you anything. Realize its close to Kehena beach area and coastline where theres mucho homeless and burglaries. Nanwale as I remember upon a visit hd mosquitos galore! Allways biting me, nanawale is near a nice area if you consider distance from ocean. It has its own appeal I guess and lots are small as you know only about 8000 sq ft. Prices are going up. I would consider if you can afford Fern Acres or glenwood, aloha estates.

frank battaglia
Hi Beth,
Gene and I stayed one week in Nanawale in a vacation rental and had a nice time. We bought in Eden Roc as we liked the size of the lots and the elevation. Our realtor Richard Geddes at Pahoa Realty and his wife life in Nanawale and have for several years. Stop in and I'm sure Richard will visit with you and give you his take on the neighborhood. He's a very personalble man.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
just like anywhere else in the world we have thieves. best security is to have a gate and thick brush/trees where they can't see in. in our subdivision we average about one burglary a month

The high number of drug addicts on the island is a major source of crime. Addicts don't typically have jobs so thier source of income for dope is crime. It may also be a case of "have's and have not's". Unemployment is also a factor as well. The daily newspapers list the burglaries all the time so you can sort of get a feel for where it's happening.
Nate SC, which local newspaper are you referring to?
Loffelkopfll what sub division are you in. We are going to live in Mountain View.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Puna district is known as the wild..wild..west. Burglaries are rampant. Reason is ICEHEADS, unemployed, and other factors. If you notice anyone checking out your property, it may be because they are determining from many visits the activity of the people living there. When they are home, what they drive etc. Most burglaries hapen in daylight when people are working. Putting up a gate will deter anyone from any maajor hauls as they usually will need to drive up to house load up and drive out. If you have a gate this will act as a good deterent!. I belive things are getting a little better as new home owners are popping up and pride of ownership is making neighborhgoods other than renters a more liveable community. fact is where there are low income renters there is generally more crime and properties are not upkept. Put up an inexpensive video camera at driveway entrance, put up a gate. Plany cactus if you get it to grow in this area as borders. My friend Bob in kona has a huge natural border opf large cactus on his property in which NOBODY will get through!@ Even the Mongoose think twice! Fact is you are living in a rural area with many low income and or drug addicted population. This adds up to temptation of crime. Do not short yourself when it comes to safety out here. On the other hand thee is many great law biding citizens and neighbors. Good people along with bad in every community, but it pays to think safety and security.

frank battaglia
mella, i live in eden roc

Thanks, Sent you an e-mail re Eden Roc!

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA