Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damaging winds approaching Big Island
It's suppose to hit Thursday...but it's pretty windy now!

http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/96778?phenomena=TSL&significance=S&areaid=HIZ025&office=PHFO&etn=869296f3f61cad920289b2e6745d20c6a7b8a47d
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/articl...s_breaking
YIKES!
I have trees and power lines ... which HELCO refuses to come trim.

On the bright side, if they did fall on the lines at least HELCO would have no choice.
Hang on to your hats everyone!

The WINDWARD warning is for the smaller islands, and the winds are coming from south/southwest, so maybe this won't affect Hilo or Puna so much?
I have Mauna Kea between me and the southwest, not so sure about all of Puna.
They revised the forecast ...
now it's Kaua'i and then Oahu, and on Friday.
Nothing right now on Maui or Hawai'i.

That Honolulu Advertiser link changed ...
earlier the breaking news warning included the Big Island, and there was a warning on NOAA, but now the page has changed.

so if you follow the link Damon posted and go HUH? that's what happened.

The weather.com page is gone.
Winds are picking up here in HPP this morning. We had a wind gust just a little while ago of 40mph.
Some powerful gusts about now in Leilani--just heard a loud thump and found a 30 ft (dying/dead) Ohia in the yard and on the roof...

-dwajs
-dwajs
We just lost power for about 10 seconds.
We lost power twice so far...but only for about 10 seconds each. Me thinks there is a tree branch brushing against a powere line somewhere close by.
we have now lost power 4 times... the last time was off for about a full 90 seconds.[Sad!]

I just noticed we both live in the Virgin Islands... Maybe it's only us[Big Grin]
The front is not anywhere near the Big Island yet. Winds are supposed to pick up on Kaua'i tonight and be high tomorrow morning, and Oahu gets it mid-Friday. Maui and the Big Island the wind watch is for the summits.

I think this is just wind. [Smile]