Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Interested in Joining Pahoa Writer's Group?
Hi, my name is Cynthia. I am interested in starting up an informal writer's group every other Saturday in the mid-morning. You don't have to be a writer to join. You just have to like "talking story" on paper. You can write anything -- memoirs, fiction, non-fiction, poetry, etc.

I don't want to be your writing teacher, or group leader. We will all have equal clout. We are all there to teach each other, from our own collective experiences, whether we are seasoned writers or newbies.

We can meet, have some coffee, take turns reading our story, and then group members can offer up suggestions for improving the story in a friendly, productive way. Depending on what the group wants, we can have outside professional writers visit once in a while, or you can come up with your own ideas to enhance the group.

I am 52 and just started writing again after 30 years. I have a BA in Journalism, and wrote for print media in my early twenties. I was also a proofreader for a large oil company in Los Angeles. For the past 25 years I've been a legal assistant until December. The economy has forced me to get out of my comfort zone and begin reinventing myself as a freelancer while I look for another legal job in Hilo.

I belonged to a memoir writer's group in the mainland for about 5 years. Writing about our own loves, losses, and triumphs was compelling, and it brought us together in a very satisfying way. Two of my writing compadres, who had no prior writing experience, published a book apiece -- one about his experiences in a reform school in the 1950s in Brownsville, Texas. The other published a book about his anti-war efforts in the 60s.

Our group met every other Saturday at different member's homes, but if you are not comfortable with that, I know of a venue that will allow meetings on weekends in Nanawale. There may be a very minimal rental fee.

I know there are other writer's groups out there in Hilo or Volcano, but wanted to have one locally in Pahoa, if anyone is willing to participate. Please let me know via private e-mail if you want to join.

I look forward to hearing your ideas. Thanks for letting me share.

-Cyn
Hi Cynthia, I might well be interested. I've seven published titles myself, 3 under my name and the rest under pens(no, you don't get to know!) and might be offer to add a little insight in how the publishing industry works. It's changing very rapidly and new technology like Kindle and the rest will change it even more. Looking to the music industry and how it has changed goes a long ways to informing how the profession of writing will adapt itself in the future.

If I misread the intent and the focus is primarily a "literary" one, sorry about that. Still most people that write also think of publication and that turns the whole of the job into a business at some point. Art alone doesn't suffice if you want to actually get read, especially today.
Hi JWFitz,

Thanks for responding. My intent is not primarily literary. I am very much interested in internet and other publishing methods. Even vanity, or nowadays print-on-demand publishing doesn't have the same stigma it had just five years ago. There are lots of neat websites out there like Scribd.com, lulu.com, etc. I now write copy for those who purchase it online for advertisers and other companies.

Surely your input would be of great value. Another writer has contacted me privately, and so, if you have any writer friends, or if more people from this forum would be interested, that would be great.

I am interested in having a diverse group, of locals, mainlanders, and all age groups and views.

Any takers out there?

-Cyn
Hi Cynthia. I'm most interested in publishing and marketing via the internet. Please keep me posted on developments.

Thanks.
I am interested. I just like to write when I have time. No particular training or career in the area of the written word.

What is the next step?

Susan
Susan
Hi Cynthia,

I'll be sending you a couple e-mails via punaweb post of contact numbers of a couple of friends who are also interested. In the past I've had trouble receiving punaweb mail for some reason so I'd encourage you to watch your junk mail folder.

Thanks!
I would be interested because I'd like to start writing something for real, but I don't know that I could drag myself down to Pahoa on Saturday morning. I'm not a morning person, not for going places when I don't absolutely have to.

I would be happy to host, but I live north of Hilo (Jay knows my house).
Oh well.

(I have a BA and MA in English, from U.C. Berkeley, and have a paralegal certificate I never used in the workplace. [Wink] FWIW, as you shared yours. Mine hasn't been worth much to me, at all. I can teach Chaucer in the original and read Finnegans Wake, so I'm well up on abilities that don't pay -- and would like to find an endeavor that does.
Aloha Cynthia. I would like to join your group too. Don't know what I could offer...just wanna learn. I have had so many ideas over the years and would acutally like to put them in print (in one form or another). Mahalo.

Carrie Rojo

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." Barack Obama
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Wonder if Glen has had an opportunity to see this thread? Whoa

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Hey Carrie, maybe we could carpool! :-)

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."