Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving a house (if lava comes)- Urban legend?
Morganlady has just posted :
--------------------------------------------------------------

If the lava flows across 130, I hope I can have it moved to another site - I like it that much!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I was always wondering about this.

Here's what I'd like to know:

1.Do you know someone personally who has done this?

2.If a person doesn't have another property what are the possible places to move your house

(without taking someone else's)?

3.Any vendors to call (moving,trucking)?

4. Any idea of the costs involved?

I apologize for the topic-I know,most of people would prefer not to

talk about this.

1. No
2. Nowhere
3. Good luck!
4. No
[Big Grin]
Seriously, I know somebody who actually moved a house from within the setback to outside, but based on what happened in Royal Hawaiian Estates make sure your insurance is in place! [Smile]

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

Thank you,John!

I knew it : it is mostly URBAN LEGEND...
They moved a church (the Painted One). Why not move a house. All it took was a bunch of mokes, a flatbed and the will to do it.

I have the will to do it, but am lacking the flatbed, and, of course, the mokes.

Why don't you get one of the "wee" houses (google it, baby). They are on wheels.
quote:
Originally posted by StillHope

Thank you,John!
I knew it : it is mostly URBAN LEGEND...
Just remember, you do not have lava insurance but you do have fire insurance! [Smile]

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

"URBAN LEGEND"

Aha, not so! There's a guy in HPP, Tom, he has a house on Beach Rd. He moved it out of the path of the lava, from Kalapana. I think he said he had to cut it in half to move it.

If it did happen, just buy another lot, you can get them cheap if you get remote enough.
well, my dad and i were some of the "mokes" to move the church way back when. pretty exciting day, lots of volunteers. also a small house was just moved in to our neighborhood and it came down the belt on a truck in 3 parts. it depends on the house (post andpier, how the roof can be cut, etc. etc.) i have no idea of cost, but i also know someone who moved a huge boat into hpp. if it is too tall it necessitates power lines being down temporarily. if things go onto a flatbed, i imagine the transport cost similiar to container transport costs but you need a place to put it or a friend with some acreage.... it isnt legend... didnt they move some on northern route in the not to distant past as i recall while replacing the bridge up there??
How interersting,Lquade!
Would you tell us more about it? Please!
The 200 or so houses in Kalapana destroyed by lava in the 1990's were pretty much the homes that were insured. Since the insurance was for fire (as John pointed out) the homeowners had no choice but to watch their homes burn. I know some people (featured teary eyed on a famous video) who even managed to increase their $$$ coverage at the last minute.

There were lots of folks without insurance who moved their houses. The house that our local physician's assistant owns was just being finished on an oceanfront lot near the surf spot known as "smashface". The owner at the time had the house cut into three pieces, braced up, loaded onto lowboy trailers and moved a couple of miles up the hill for reassembly. The garage, being on a slab, was left in place. Ironically, the lava stopped before the house would have been lost.

Sometimes utility crews would have to disconnect lines, and sometimes people would walk ahead of the trucks with long poles lifting phone lines. It wasn't unusual at the time to see a house slowely moving up highway 130 in the wee hours.

I think the cost of moving a house started at about ten grand at the time. I helped several people move, and working in the landscape nursery industry at the time, helped move palms and other valuable flora as well. FEMA worked with people to buy new lots.

When you enter Leilani Estates from the top, the first three houses on the left have all been moved there. Two plantation renovations and one lava refugee.

If you're worried about lava encroachment, it's best to build post & beam, and modular. If your house is on a slab, it's toast.
Greg,thank you so much.Your response is very helpful.
My house will be post & peer ,very small (a studio with a loft,less than 800 sq ft total) and insured.

But I'd assume if I move the house,the insurance will not give me a dime.

And,as Kathy mentioned,it will be thousands of people calling for the trucks at the same time.