Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peanut Butter Recall
Check the list,
Check your pantry

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/pe...ts2009.pdf
Thank you Bob, for this list. I have been trying to find out if my stash of peanut butter is safe (Adam's) and at least it's not being recalled at present. Will of course keep checking.
I don't buy the snack food type stuff, but sure would miss my peanut butter on toast for breakfast.

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."
Liz, this may be worst than many think. Half of the recalled products are ingredient products used in making other products. They can trace many of the big batch first source commercial items, but are having a hard time tracing all of it to the end source. A local purveyor could have bought some under a second repackaging brand. They further repackage it into their own product such as peanut butter dough. They sold that to another packager who made cookies out of them, and they sold that to some restaurants or schools. The unfortunate reality is this was a product that had such widespread use and buyers, refined from one product to thousands, and commingled with batches from a non-contaminated source - hence the addition of a dozen new items to the list since last Friday.
I assume though, that since this is salmonella, that the peanut butter jar I've already opened and eaten out of is OK, I would have gotten sick already?

Agreed, Bob, this really drives home that we don't know where or how our processed food is manufactured, whatever the label may say. Scary.
Good question Kathy. I've been thinking about that too...

Egads Bob! I can see how convoluted it would be trying to trace the route of each ingredient... and that makes it harder to know if the stuff at home is safe or not... hmmmm.
Good reason to cook from scratch. But possibly even some of those ingredients could be contaminated too...

Does anyone know if any of the health food stores in these parts have a grinder for making fresh peanut butter? Would that be a safer alternative or are the peanuts themselves at risk for this salmonella contamination?

aloha, Liz

Now they are saying that several Peanut Oils are now being recalled and they are trying to trace the oils through the entire complex distribution chain all the way down to some health foods and suppliments.
To-day I bought 2 chocolate bars (Hersheys) with peanut butter filling at Ralphs -good-buy ,everyone!!!
StillHope, You're living on the edge, I see! ;-)

aloha, Liz

Yes,just waiting for Bob Orts to finish my will.
Is Bob Otrs related to Bob Orts?

"Each thing I do I rush through so I can do something else" - Cemetery Nights/Stephen Dobyns