Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accident on Hwy 130
Does anyone know anything about the accident today involving a Hele-On bus and a pickup truck on Hwy 130 and Shower Drive? Traffic was backed up for miles and I saw a tennis shoe laying in the middle of highway.
I cannot believe that I am beating Damon to this! Are you on vacation Damon?

I was watching the 5 am news and they did a brief report on it.

The accident was a fatality. A man (Carlos Caraballo, 51) was hit by a truck when exiting the bus. It is a sad day for all involved.

Devany

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.travelingfork.blogspot.com
A little more information From Damon's Blog:
A Hele-On bus rider suffered fatal injuries today when he was struck by a pickup truck after exiting the bus.
Police said Carlos Caraballo, 51, of Pahoa, got off the bus around 11:49 a.m. at the intersection of Route 130 and Shower Drive in the Puna District.
The victim walked in front of the bus and out into the highway, where he was hit by a 1992 Nissan pickup truck traveling west on Route 130. Caraballo was then thrown into the front end of a 2006 Mini Cooper that was stopped in the left-turn lane on the highway.
The driver of the pickup truck, a 43-year-old Pahoa man, and the driver of the Mini Cooper, a 60-year-old Ninole woman, were not injured.
Caraballo was pronounced dead at 12:33 p.m. at Hilo Medical Center.
Anyone with information about the crash should call police officer Clarence Davies at 961-8118.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.travelingfork.blogspot.com
Im sorry to hear that!
Which way is WEST bound? Looking at the map 130 appears to be more N/S. Going towards Pahoa or Kea'au?

Royall

What goes around comes around!

quote:
Originally posted by Devany

I cannot believe that I am beating Damon to this! Are you on vacation Damon?

Had to attend to a sick son yesterday so I was pretty late with a lot of things.

I wrote a post that has the accident rate statistics for H130 here in early December. These accidents only show the ones that have damage of more then $3000.00. So I believe the accident rate is even higher then that listed.

H130 is one of the worst Highways in the State and it's tragic that a Bus-Rider was killed.

On another note... yesterday around 4:15 I saw police investigating what looked like another wreck on H130 about 2 miles past the Keaau Bypass. Was running late, otherwise I would have pulled over and checked it out.

Damon Tucker's Weblog
quote:
Originally posted by Royall

Which way is WEST bound? Looking at the map 130 appears to be more N/S. Going towards Pahoa or Kea'au?

Royall

What goes around comes around!

Going Towards Kea'au
Tough way to go :/ Yup getting off of the bus can be fatal. I almost got killed just like that in New Orleans. Gotta let the bus go by & look carefully before proceeding.
There are no legal posted bus stops along 130... some of the bus drivers will stop to let people on or off... most likely this driver will end up responsible for this... I know that there is at least one driver that will not drop off or pick up people on 130... and he gets a lot of attitude for his stand.

I know that I thought it was a quaint practice for the bus to stop along the route... & even related on PW that the buses would stop along 130.... I doubt that the drivers will stop now... & I can oinly believe that the driver will be held responsible for this incident.

If only the state, county & the homeowner assn. that have private roads could get together & finish the studies & fund the corrective actions that would limit the intersection accidents....

Official bus stops on H-130 Should be finished by the end of the summer.

Where they will be located is another question.

Damon Tucker's Weblog