Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap, low-usage cell phone plan needed for HPPNW
I am on the budget committee for the HPP Neighborhood Watch. We are in the process of increasing our patrols and need a cheap cell phone plan. We have looked into disposable phones, but frankly, the plans I have seen so far involve buying cards with minutes that expire. We expect to only rarely need to make calls since we are mainly a deterrent, so we might have months where we make very few or no calls.

Does anyone know of a cheap plan with service that works in HPP and that does not involve expiring minutes? A contract for a year or two is not a problem.

Cheers,
Jerry
all cell phones activated or not, will dial 911

as an com option , look into frs 2 way radio, vhf or cb for internal communications - free
Check into Jitterbug. According to their service map, they have service on most of the island, though there are some dead areas.

www.jitterbug.com
With tracfone, the minutes expire only after quite a few months I believe... might be worth looking into!
~ Rachael
Jerry can't you use your personal phones??? Just reimburse the owner for any emergency calls. sound more cost effective to me.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

Royall, we are indeed planning to use some personal phones, but we have some active members who don't have them. So we are looking into this option so we have one for use in those cases.

Cheers,
Jerry
Anyone have ATT? IF they work in HPP, just add a phone account to someone's family plan and pass that phone around. Costs around $12 a month, including taxes.

If the person(s) carrying it use it inappropriately, the bill shows use by phone number... Minutes are shared so unless there is an emergency, minutes aren't used....

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Net10 works well in HPP (we just used one for a month there), and although it has expiring minutes you can buy them for a year at a time, or buy an automatic monthly plan at $15 per month. The intial phone is $30 for 300 minutes for 60 days and calls are just 10 cents a minute anywhere in the USA. WalMart carries them (and others may as well).
My Verizon phone worked OK in HPP although it sometimes was a little flaky inside the house where I was staying off Makuu on 19th. You can add another account for $9.95/month, with shared minutes, but no charge for minutes to any other Verizon number. A basic phone is often free with a contract.

Allen
Baton Rouge, LA & HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
I use a Tracfone in lower HPP. my wife just gave my old phone a bath in the ocean so I have to buy a new one. The phone plus 120 min. was $20 free shipping. If you want give me a cross street and I will test it when I get the new one next week.