Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best bang for the buck on realastate?
OK ,Ive got $60,000 to spend on a house, or a fixer upper, or at least a parcel with a house pad on it. I would like to live at least 30minutes from Hilo. I know that the prices have gone ballistic, but were would i get the best bang for the buck now? And will these prices hold there value or go down?

You really have to LOOKS around, get to know some local folks and see what comes. It is doable but not on a whim. One man's dream is another man's nightmare. Why do you need a pad already on property. You buy an empty peice and have it grubbed, then put in a pad. No big deal. You can still get some lots for $25,000 but you need to look at them to see if you really like the neighborhood. Each is so very very different. Not just the neighbors and roads and landscape possibilities (it is all rock or soil?) but rainfall and elevation. Take your time and LOOK around. It's fun!!

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I would spend up to 20,000 or less on a small lot such as 12,000 sq ft such as some subdivisuions in Mountainview arean and use rest to build a small easy to build home. It can be done. Build yourself a cabin with lets say about 20x24 feet. Too many people want to get fancy and it costs alot to get fancy out here. What do you really really need? You have a family? Or just you and your wife? Any kids? If just you or just you and wife go with that small house or cabin and build a nice big deck around it for more useable space. Why be in debt? I only wish that is what I would have done. I would not have to pay a mortgage for the sum total of my life! Find a lot in Glenwood, or Nanawale, or better yet ALOHA Estates! Get a lot at smallest price you can and use rest of money to begin buying lumber and finding a reasonable carpenter who can build to code.

frank battaglia
One further point. Think about it. All a human needs is to be sheltered from cold, rain, sun. Have place to rest your head, and a place to retreat from a hard day of work etc. We as a society are all in competition mode. Keep up with the Jones;s. We want to impress the relatives or friends on mainland. We are all trained to think big and better. More when we need less. Two hamburgers instead of one just because we can afford it. Or not! If I build again I will build what I mentioned on last posting and rent out my house and let someone else pay it down for me. Who the heck needs all those rooms? Why would someone want a mansion? Its all to impress! Its all a statement..LOOK AT ME..I HAVE MONEY..I HAVE FANCY HOUSE..Hell people are starving and homeless who can only wish to live in a closet of one of these places. We are wastefull creatures. We really do not need all this space to live. selfish, its a show, its a statement.Think about it.

frank battaglia
quote:
I would spend up to 20,000 or less on a small lot such as 12,000 sq ft such as some subdivisuions in Mountainview arean and use rest to build a small easy to build home. It can be done. Build yourself a cabin with lets say about 20x24 feet. Too many people want to get fancy and it costs alot to get fancy out here. What do you really really need? You have a family? Or just you and your wife? Any kids? If just you or just you and wife go with that small house or cabin and build a nice big deck around it for more useable space. Why be in debt? I only wish that is what I would have done. I would not have to pay a mortgage for the sum total of my life! Find a lot in Glenwood, or Nanawale, or better yet ALOHA Estates! Get a lot at smallest price you can and use rest of money to begin buying lumber and finding a reasonable carpenter who can build to code.

frank battaglia

quote:
quote:
So you would say build rather than buy a fixer? and why the mountainview area? would you happen to know what the elevation is there? And do you think that it will hold its value?

frank battaglia

I am seeing a lot of lots at cheap prices in Tiki Gardens , Why are they so cheap? is there a lot of rain there?

Maybe having to do with square footage effects price

frank battaglia
Punadan,
You need to SEE Tiki Gardens and all the other areas to make a judgment. Most of Tiki Gardens is pretty much on lava with little soil, scrubby, brushy landscaping and dirt roads. The air is humid and still as the elevation is usually below 1000 ft, the height of the trade winds coming in. Haveing said that, I have seen some absolutely lovely homes there in addition to the dumps. It's all about your immediate neighbors.

Mountain View area is about 1500+ ft elevation. There the trades hit nicely for cool breezes and little humidity. Yes it rains a lot but mostly in the afternoons and night. There are weeks of drizzle and weeks of sunshine. It is less than 30 minutes outside Hilo for a decent commute.

I am in Glenwood, north west of the highway 11, with deep rich soil, tall rainforest, sweeping pastures and lots more rain. I LOVE the fresh greenness of it. Feel free to contactme (pslamont@yahoo.lcom) and come see it here when you are on island. I host lots of newcomers and am glad to show you what I have learned.

My cousin is a contractor here. He bought a nice lot on a paved road in volcano, only 6 or 7 miles away from me. Paid about $20,000 for an 8000 sq ft lot with big ohia trees and ferns, power to the property line, etc. He has built a modest home there that will sell in the 150's probably. Buying and buildign is very doable and you don't have to get a dumper lot to do it in your price range, you just have to look look look. Also, using a real estate agent to buy is wise. The seller pays the fees. They get the listings just before they hit the MLS often; that's how I got my place.

Good luck and feel free to be in touch directly.
Aloha, Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"