Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depleted Uranium Update

Dear folks, please help get answers on depleted uranium! Sign-hold 9:30 AM Tue 2-3-09 at the Hilo County Council office.Testify 10:30 AM at your local County Council office. And/or e-mail the Council by Mon.12pm. See below. thx, Cory

TO
cohmayor@co.hawaii.hi.us
genriques@co.hawaii.hi.us
bford@co.hawaii.hi.us
kgreenwell@co.hawaii.hi.us
phoffmann@co.hawaii.hi.us
dikeda@co.hawaii.hi.us
enaeole@co.hawaii.hi.us
donishi@co.hawaii.hi.us
dyagong@co.hawaii.hi.us
jyoshimoto@co.hawaii.hi.us

SUBJECT
Killian/ DU/ PWIRC/ 10:30 AM Tue 2-3-09

Dear Mayor and Council members,

Why do military officials say there is no danger from the DU (depleted uranium) at Pohakuloa, with so many questions left unanswered?

Please get answers when Colonel Killian makes his presentation to your committee on Feb. 3.

Here are some questions--

Dr. Pang, a former Army doctor and consultant to the World Health Organization, recommends air sampling that can detect intermittent spikes in airborne DU. So why is the Army is just taking averages? That’s like saying the temperature is 75 degrees average, when it’s 100 degrees by day, and 50 degrees by night.

What type of air testing is recommended for airborne
DU from penetrators? Is this type being done at Pohakuloa?

Why is a Sierra Club consultant saying there may be 2000 spotting rounds at Pohakuloa alone, while the Army says there are only 714 in the whole state?

Is anyone searching for hazardous DU and/or radioactivity from sources other than the spotting rounds?

Is anyone reviewing records for other forgotten hazards, including classified records, and records from non-Army users of Pohakuloa? (Air Force, Marines, National Guard, Navy)

What action has the Army taken on the two County DU resolutions passed six months ago?

Mahalo.
The World Health Organization doesn't think DU is a big problem :

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs257/en/
rbakker- did you even read the article to which you have given a link to, much less read between the lines?
The article does not necessarily say DU is not of concern here in Hawaii. What is does say is that the WHO has general guidelines meant to project an average amount of safe exposure to DU in a set amount of time. These are cleverly labeled "tolerable intake" levels and the International Basic Safety Standard guidelines on radiation exposure.
It does not say however how levels within the safety zones of these guidelines came to be recognized as safe to begin with.
The sight is useful in determining whether the U.S. Military's residue is within the internationally recognized safety parameters.
In no part of this article though, does it suggest that DU is not a concern, especially here in Hawaii where we don't know for sure what the levels are.
Interesting enough, the sight gives estimates on how much (background) DU a person can be exposed to on any given day without the added presence of DU from munitions etc.
The "tolerable intake" levels remind me a lot of the FDA's famous term "generally recognized as safe" or GRAS.
Yes, rasman, I do read articles before I link to them, doesn't everybody?
I don't read between the lines, I like to stick to what's actually written.
What makes you think the findings don't apply to Hawaii, the W in WHO stands for World.

Depleted uranium poses a huge risk to enemy tank hulls and personnel within.

Within and without.

Tons of info on the web re. deadly, gene destroying DU.

What's the half life, like a gazillion years or something?

Geeze.

Very serious stuff.
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
Shouldn't this be in the political section, newbie junkie

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
Because of the "on the ground" effects, (forever), it's also a local issue bar none.

Better aloha forever.
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
We live on the side of a volcano, in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, the most remote population center in the world...
Unless you are up on the old firing range gnawing on rocks, I would think you would have bigger worries.

you might want to worry more about the mercury you are putting into the ground from all the compact fluorescent lights the greenies pushed on the world...

-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
HBAT
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
Jon, you might just try to respect other people's opinions without putting them down too. It doesn't cost anything.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator