Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawi?
Is there anything worth driving up there to see?
Yes, Pololu Beach one of prettiest spots on the island. Go to the end of the road, arrive early (parking is limited). Take a walk to the bottom. As pretty as Waipio Valley but more accessible by easy hike. Bring a picnic lunch. Don't go in the water there, can be very dangerous.
Take the upper road from Waimea to Hawi/Kapaau. On a clear day I've seen Molokini, Kahoolawi, and Kauai on the horizon(and of course maui) Come back on the coastal road and stop by Lapakahi.

I agree with Greg, the Kohala Mountain Road is probably the prettiest road on the island. I usually take the coast road to go there and take the upper road to come back.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

Hawi is a pretty little town. On the way stop for lunch at Cafe Pesto in Kawaihae. Visit some of the art galleries in Hawi then keep driving North to the Pololu Valley lookout. On the way to Pololu take the turn off to Keokea Beach Park which again is well worth the visit. Pololu offers some awesome scenery and if you have time a hike down the pali to the bottom of the valley is very cool. On the way back take the high road back to Waimea as Greg & John Rabi suggests where you will find some great views on a clear day.

All in all this makes a very nice day trip.

Andrew

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Just wanted to add a postscript: The original Kamehameha statue is right on the road in Hawi village, can park in the lot behind the center buildings for a little visit.
Also in Pololu just before the road ends there is a nice woman who weaves excellent baskets and other palm crafts and sells for good prices. She sets up in a driveway to her gramma's land (or maybe it's her husband's, not sure on that). Worth noticing...

-dwajs
-dwajs
BTW make sure you stop on the scenic pullout headed north from Waiemea (spectacular view). Alternately if you are coming the other way one of the best places on the island to watch the sun go down Smile
While I agree all that is nice, Hawi is turning into a regular Mendocino type tourist village, crowded with people in tourist garb - which makes the folks who live there mutter in disgust and avoid town.

What could happen to Pahoa if it were every cleaned up and made really cute, so beware what you ask for ...

The tourists seeing the statue ... yes, one of the pet peeves of the residents the way the tourists just walk into the road in front of traffic as if seeing the statue gives you immunity to accident and automatic right of way.

The best of North Kohala happens behind the scenes, as in Puna, as in Mendocino. Went to a fantastic 4th of July potluck in a barn with live music, that was the essence of old time living in the country fun last year ...

They have full moon parties at Mahukona ...

Sunset at Mahukona is one of the better ways to meet a few folks who live there and talk story. Also the bar at Luke's place and the little "bistro" attached to Kohala Artists Collective (just before Kapa'au). Tropical Dreams coffee in the morning when the tourists haven't arrived yet.

Try spending a night at the Kohala Village Inn and see the area outside of the tourist crunch window in the main part of the day.

An old friend of mine from Mendocino has lived there for 15-20 years, so that area was our nexus for friends when we got here. I liived there 2003-2005, off and on. To make it there now you kind of have to be a wealthy hippy ... ex-wife of one of the Dead (actual example), retired successful potgrower, timber baron ...

it's like Puna only the counter-culture folks spend way more on the land and more of them have estates. Still a lot of salt of the earth type people who arrived after the Kohala Mill closed when land was cheap, which was what out woodworker friend did.

It's worth trekking out to Mo'okini Heiau. Ocean is gorgeous along there, lots of whales, not so much pali lie in HPP, more elevated rocky coast. Air is wonderfully fresh.

Another walk is down to the old lighthouse on Mill Road.
quote:
Originally posted by David Shaw

Just wanted to add a postscript: The original Kamehameha statue is right on the road in Hawi village, can park in the lot behind the center buildings for a little visit.
It's actually a few miles up North from Hawii in a small town called Kapa'au.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

Hmmm.... if I lived in Hawi & owned a cute little curio shop I'd smile w/ glee when the tourist stop & give me their cash (not frown). Seems like tourism is a major scource of income on the Island. Why would the residents resent that? Alternately board up all of the windows & put up allot of keep out signs :/