Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malama Market
I don't like shopping at Malama for a number of reasons, and go there only when I have a few items and don't want to waste time or gas by driving to Hilo. I went this morning, and my purchase amount came to $12.57. As usual, the cashier asked for my credit card and driver's license and closely scrutinized them. This is one of the reasons I don't like shopping there. I always check my receipt before leaving any store, and noticed I was charged for a type of apple that was not on sale, and cost .50/lb. more. I took the receipt to the courtesy window and after the person verified that every apple was properly labelled (Braeburn, not Fuji), I was given a refund for the difference. I asked how such a thing can happen, and she didn't seem to have an answer.
I don't like the high prices there, but for jug of milk or something it's better than a trip to Hilo. Also, they keep that place COLD. That means the candy bars aren't melted like at the Cash and Carry [Big Grin]

I'm not sure if I understand.......Do you not like your credit card and license being scrutinized?

I understand that this practice is for my protection and worth the inconvenience. It bothers me when I'm not asked, and I always thank a clerk for checking ID.
According to the credit card agreement the vendors have with the credit card companies the vendors are not supposed to ask for an ID when you pay by a credit card. If they have any doubt about the validity they are supposed to call the credit card companies.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

Actually the checking ID against your credit card is for your protection against people using a stolen credit card and ID. Stores do it in direct proportion to how much theft is in the area. Puna has a lot of identity theft, so you will be ID'd until they get to know you. If you were a friendly regular at the store they would eventually quit asking; if you rarely go in, they will keep asking. A coworker had her ID and credit card stolen last year; the kid who stole the wallet went to one of the local markets WITH HER MOTHER and they tried to use it to gas up and get groceries within an hour of stealing them. Since the ID didn't look anything like her (middle aged blond vs. teenage local kid), the store held the card and the ID and called the police. The culprits left fast but at least she got all her ID and credit card back right away.

This got cross posted with the other two posts, I didn't know they weren't supposed to ask for ID, especially since so many stores do it now. It seems like if you don't routinely ask for ID a store could be accused of profiling: "Please wait while I call the CC company, you just don't look like a Megan O'Malley who would have a platinum visa card."

About ten years ago, I actually got asked for ID when I was buying college textbooks because I was using a Platinum American Bar Association Visa that I shared with my mother who was a judge. The clerk said I didn't "look like someone who had earned one of those" which really pissed me off. I was old enough to be a lawyer at that point, but I sure wasn't in a power suit!

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Malama Market is part of the SackNSave/Foodland corporate family. They routinely charge more, even for specials, than their sister stores in Hilo. One recent comparison showed about a 10% price differential on sale items at Pahoa vs. the Hilo locations and an even wider spread on some non-sale items. Does it cost that much more to haul the stuff to Pahoa or to do business there? I doubt it. They charge more because people will pay for the convenience.

Cheers,
Jerry
Its called free market... Maybe we can get a real grocery store to move in...oh wait, that would be progress...[Wink]

-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
HBAT
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
quote:
Originally posted by John S. Rabi

According to the credit card agreement the vendors have with the credit card companies the vendors are not supposed to ask for an ID when you pay by a credit card. If they have any doubt about the validity they are supposed to call the credit card companies.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"

at some stores, as the transaction is processing, the swiper thing says to show your credit card to the clerk. are they trying to verify your signature or trying to i.d. the person? my cc has my pic on it so no need to present my state i.d. also, if they're trying to verify the signature, good luck!

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

Do you realize how many UPC codes these checkers have to memorize?

For apples alone it's over 30-40 codes and they change depending on what type of apples come in.

Each apple has a different 4 digit code that these checkers have memorized long before taking to the checkstand.

Not only do the checkers have to know the 4 digit code... they also have to identify what type of apple that is.

As a former checker... I know from experience that's it's hard to tell the difference from a Crenshaw a Newton a Gala a McIntosh and a Gravenstein for example. However they all look the same but only slightly different... however the price could be completely different on all of them.

An apple... is not just an apple!

Damon Tucker's Weblog
I don't care for the high prices at Malama Market, but I have found the service to be pretty good, although the cashiers get a little weary sometimes. I would too. On the plus side, they stock Mehana beer (I can never pronounce that -- if I say "may" hana, they say "muh-hana" and if say "muh" hana they say "Do you mean may-hana?".

But there are two things that I absolutely love about Malama Market. First, I love the interior -and even the exterior-- decoration. I so covet those giant fruit seed reproductions on the wall. I want to know where they got those. I wrote to them, but they never wrote back. The other thing I like about Malama Market is that when I am in there, I have that thrilling feeling that I am NOT in my local Albertson's Supermarket here in Southern California.
I write show I.D. on mine.