Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couple of Dumb Questions... But Need Help!
I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for, maybe you all can help?

Where can I go get a replacement social security card for my son?

Where can I go to register my car? Hilo? Anyone have any contact info for the DMV?

I was told about being able to get an ID in Hilo without going to the DMV to do so? Anyone know anything about this? I'd like to keep my out of state Drivers License, but I'd love to get a local ID.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!
~ Rachael
Are you living in Hawaii? If so, you can use your out of state license till it expires, but why would you when you can have a Hawaiian one? You have to get either one at the Police Department.

The County Building (across the street from Longs) is where you go to get your new plates. It is easy and they give you a credit for your former plates. We only had to pay 5.50 for each car! You need to bring your title, bill of lading, registration and proof of HAWAIIAN insurance. You also have to go get a safety inspection first. The Chevron Station does them without an appointment. That costs $15. After you register your car, you bring the registration back and then they put the inspection sticker on your car.

Look online for the Social Security Administration. We do have a federal building here, but I am not sure if it has a SSA office or if there is a free standing one. There should be plenty of information online and you may even be able to do it there.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
State Id is available at the State Building on Aupuni (about a block & across Aupuni from the Motor Vehicle Office) - $5
(Make sure not to allow your drivers license to expire, if you have an expired out-of-state drivers license, you have to go & get a learners permit, wait & then take a driving test, along with a written test)

To register your car you will also need to have a state safety check... not hard to get (most service stations do it... ~$10) but for us it meant going back & forth to the DMV...

You can get a replacement SS card at the SS office,
SOCIAL SECURITY
SUITE 710
111 E PUAINAKO ST
HILO, HI 96720

"You can replace your Social Security card for free if it is lost or stolen. However, you may not need to get a replacement card. Knowing your Social Security number is what is important.

To replace a lost Social Security card:

Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and
Show us documents proving your identity.
Show us documents proving your U.S. citizenship if our records do not already contain that information.
Show us documents proving your current, lawful, work-authorized status if you are not a U.S. citizen."

There is a SS office next to American Savings Bank at the Prince Kuhio Mall. That's the PUAINAKO location.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I want to register a vehicle purchased here, that already has it's safety for another few months. Do I need to go get another inspection to register it? I am in HPP... so do I go to the Keaau police station to register the car? Thanks again everyone!
~ Rachael
Yes, Social Security requires you come in person and bring a valid form of ID. They won't generate those online or over the phone. Know someone who had to replace a stolen one recently.

They used to be where the Bay Clinic is now, on Kinoole. So they moved to Prince Kuhio?

You cannot keep your out of state license; you are only supposed to be licensed in one state at a time. By surrendering your license you only have to pass the written test. btw, buy a Driver's Manual, on sale at the register of most markets, at Borders, etc.. The written test for Hawai'i is more difficult than you might think, plus which anyone driving here should get a manual and learn the laws that are different.

Police station issues driver's license. At least when I came here, I had to register my car and get my license at two different offices. Registration was at DMV of course.
No, a safety is good until it expires, and so is the registration. You just need to transfer title when buying a car here. Your registration notice will come in the mail when it's time to renew, and may even be a whole different time of year than the safety.
quote:
Originally posted by Carey: State Id is available at the State Building on Aupuni (about a block & across Aupuni from the Motor Vehicle Office) - $5

Call first and find out what papers you need. They even asked me for my divorce papers. Something to do with last names.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
The Hawaii State DMV office has an update on the 2008 printed version, along with a link to the pdf form of the drivers manual (no need to buy it, and always have a current version!)
http://hawaii.gov/dot/highways/hwy-v/mvso.htm
When Ralph and I went to get our State IDs, we needed to prove that
we were residents. We took our TMK documents when we bought our
property. Otherwise, you can prove residency with Utility or Phone
Bill Statements. Call first to see what documentation you need.
They also asked for my divorce papers, but said I could bring
them the next time I renew my ID. Other comments that have been
made regarding DMV registration are accurate. DMV people are very
helpful and show a lot of Aloha.

"From knowledge comes understanding"
"From knowledge comes understanding"