Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flying to Oahu
I heard Beahboy does it - flying to Oahu to work.

Anyone else tried it?

Do airlines offer a monthly package?

How long does it take to get to Oahu ?

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

I do know someone who does it here in Kona, she takes GO! on a special monthly pass and her employer pays for it. She leaves Kona around 8AM and flies back at 4PM, so she actually spends only four hours at work. (She has uber qualifications in a field of very high demand.) I don't know of your qualifications but driving from Kalapana Seaview to the Hilo airport back and forth plus the hour and half wait twice at both airports plus the flying time makes me think why would you want to move to Hawaii?

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

I know of several people who are bi-island. They work 4 long days on Oahu and have 3 day weekends. These are all people in specialized high paying professions whose families have deep roots here. It makes for a lot of stress all the way around, plus paying for 2 places to live.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I did it the other way.

Lived on Oahu and Flew back to the Big Island weekends.

Hated it... besides the costs... I hated being away from my family.

The time on Oahu is not worth the peace and serenity of the Big Island.

I'm making half as much as I was on Oahu... but at least I don't have to fly back and forth anymore.

Don't forget extra expenses such as Car Rentals, Meals, Parking in Honolulu can be as much as $400.00 per month just for a parking stall depending where you work.... etc.

John - good point about the driving time. I know people that moved back to the mainland just because they didn't like driving into Hilo from Seaview for a job that barely covered gas expense.

Damon Tucker's Weblog
Thank you,everyone for the response.
I was not asking for myself,but it's always useful to know all the options.
So Go! airline does offer monthly passes.Probably,the other airlines might consider it too.

The flight itself is about 40 mins one-way.
Some of my friends who are now working on their Masters programs on Oahu get their tickets for the whole semester.... & that cost is usually picked up in their stipend..
Thank you,Paul and Carey.
Jumpin in on this a little late... but it seems to me it would require several things,

1 An outstanding high paying job(must mean you are extremely in demand in a field that is not experiencing recession issues)
2 A very flexible and supportive employer
3 You being willing to "waste" a lot of time driving to the airports and flying. Minimum 5 hours per day. Probably starting your day at 4 am and arriving home at 9 pm.
4)Your willingness to pay a lot of money for parking, flights, food away from home and transportation in Oahu.

And so, this brings me to much the same conclusion as John came to. Why would you want to live on Hawaii? If you are going to work in Oahu, then why wouldn't you live there, possibly in a more rural area if that is what you want for lifestyle. Then you might just have a one or two hour commute and none of the hassels.

The whole beauty of Hawaiian life is that it is more relaxed and laid back. We shed most of that craziness when we left the mainland and we did it for a reason. It seems to me that unless you are making an unreal amount of money at an Oahu job the trade offs would not be worth it. Personally, if I had that kind of job on Oahu, I would stay there and save as much as I could so that I could retire on the big island later.

Lastly, we are in a RECESSION... jobs are scarce for even the "overquallified", employers are unlikely to asssit with any costs of that kind of a commute. At best you might be able to figure out a four day work week, working 10 hours a day there.

Just yesterday I met a woman who has a PHD and was a tenured professor at a teaching college in CT before she moved here. After living here for seven months and applying for jobs island wide, she finally got a part time job, at Sylvan tutoring 5th - 9th graders in reading. She works 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. That is the kind of thing most people need to expect here. Either that or make your own future by creating a viable business.

That is just my two cents.

quote:
Originally posted by StillHope

I heard Beahboy does it - flying to Oahu to work.

Anyone else tried it?

Do airlines offer a monthly package?

How long does it take to get to Oahu ?

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
Devany,I've already said that it was not for me.But thank you for the response anyway.