Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodland Center to start building this week
All I can say is...it's about time that the Pahoa area is getting a full size retail chain drug store like Longs Drugs. It's desperately needed here...along with the jobs they will bring.

I don't really care about the fast food places. If they were going to put in a chain food store....I would have preferred a "Ruby Tuesday" or maybe a "Red Lobster". "

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/arti...ogcomments
Yes, I was very disappointed to hear that they were totally low balling with the two "eateries". A couple more local places would have served out community a whole lot better.
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
Low balling? Please... BK will be the best restaurant in Pahoa.... Not that it will take much...

Besides, that is the nice that about free markets... if no one eats there, it will go away and a new one will move it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
HBAT
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii

Jon, that is just pure provocation. What's the point? Quite obviously there are better options currently in Paho than KFC or BK.
If you have not read the article, do so. Note that it also talks about some other economic development projects (beyond just the Woodland Center) that will increase tax revenue and create jobs. Of particular interest to Puna is the private bottling company. Because Hawaii has limited national opportunities due to its location, resources and lack of physical mainland interstate infrastructure, this is the type of private development that can not be allowed to fall by the roadside. Every effort needs to be made to make it a success, otherwise wait for the tourist to come back or hope the military comes.
**lol**

C'mon Jon. You know both those establishments are to be subsidized by their parent corporation using laundered drug money from the sale of CIA heroin to Puna's schoolchildren.

They could stay open forever with narry a customer in sight.

Free market indeed. Wink

BK best restaurant in Pahoa?

Try ordering a top shelf margherita and an order of guacamole at BK sometime!

Will be sure to honk and wave as we drive down the yellow brick road, heading for Luquins.
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
I have eaten Mexican food all my life, if I never have to eat it again it will be to soon...
I also don't partake in alcohol so, margaritas are not needed ether.

I believe that both KFC and BK are franchises, so, they wont get any help from the corporate side as far as funding, plus, they wont need it, have you seen the lines at the fast food places in Hilo? I predict that there will be complaints about the wait time at both establishments shortly after they open... and I also expect a push to add others next year.

Just think, all those people coming home from Hilo (because no one wants growth in Pahoa) will have an option of getting dinner from some place other than Subway, and on the way to work they can grab something for the road. What a concept, options... Makes me think there is "still hope" for freedom in the world.

HBAT
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
There are options to fast food.

Slow food, home grown food, locally produced food. It's healthier, easy (but not for the lazy), and better for our island economy than a minimum wage franchise that depends on imported supplies.

I do agree about the free market though. They won't be getting my money.
Who ever said no one wants growth in Puna?

Where do generalizations like this come from?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
While "no one wants growth in Pahoa" is an exaggeration, there are a LOT of people who don't. This always comes up when fast food and big box stores get mentioned almost anywhere in East Hawaii. If they manage to get past the frequent opposition and actually open, they seem to always be successful. Why is that? Could it be that people like choices?

Educating people to move toward healthier options is ultimately more effective than removing choices. Also, it should be noted that they serve some very greasy, unhealthy imported stuff and pay minimum wage in many of the "local kine" restaurants around here.

I like Burger King's grilled chicken sandwich, so I will probably visit the Pahoa BK two or three times a year to indulge myself. On those other rare occasions when we eat out, it will be at Luquin's (mediocre, at best, but convenient) or the Mongolian Grill in Hilo. The rest of the time it's veggies from the garden with fish or chicken and herb seasoned brown rice.

Cheers,
Jerry