Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writer's Group - First Meeting is on June 6th
Hi everyone, thanks for your patience. I met with the Board of the church last night and they enthusiastically approved our having our writer's group there. They are happy to promote the arts in Puna. They have an air conditioned social hall, kitchen for coffee, and indoor bathrooms, comfy tables and chairs, with accommodation for a large group. They are happy to promote the arts in Puna.

The first meeting will be Saturday, June 6, 2009, at 10:00 a.m., at the social hall at Kalapana Mauna Kea First Hawaiian Congregational Church. It is on Kehau Rd. The cross street is Kauai Rd. It's in Nanawale Estates about 7-8 blocks down from the longhouse. The church is painted blue with a large sign with its name on the front. The parking lot is down-slope from the building.

Please bring a story, poem, or memoir, if you have one to read. If not, you can prepare a brief bio of yourself to read. Coffee will be supplied.

We will be having a special speaker, Malia Efay-Brown, who writes for the Puna News. She is currently writing a book, and will share how her career began.

Thank you all for your support. Mella I, had a great thread on Punaweb regarding poetry night in Volcano tonight (Friday). Perhaps in the future we can hold our own poetry slams. It would be a great idea for local youth to get involved.

If you have questions or suggestions, please contact my private e-mail. That way we can free up this board for other Punaweb subjects.

Mahalo,

Cyn
My Island Girl

She was innocent, and as free as the trades that blew through her long straight hair.
She was fit, with tanned skin and dark eyes, and hair so black it was blue.
Unbeknown to her, she was a fabulous island cook, no other could compare.
She knew her island well and shared it with me openly, just as she shared herself.
Sometimes in the mountains we loved, in the cool high air and endless view.
We made love under pink clouds as we watched the setting sun, we made love under endless stars.
The sea was what we loved most,the smell, the limu,the fish, and the deep blue.
I loved Watching her swim in the clear blue water, naked to the ocean and me.
Her bare untanned breasts were like darting fish as we swam in our hidden coves.
She was simple in tastes, she was even happy to camp in my leaky old panel truck.
A pretty girl,made prettier still, with a flower in her hair, she was my flower, my melia.

It's a shame souls grow apart.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Aah, so vivid. Isn't love, tangled up with nature, such a lovely thing?

Your prose remind me of the fragrant forest in Maine in my early 20s. A summer romance ... smile.

Thank you for writing your memories.

- Cyn
You might consider posting your meeting on the Tribune calendar and other places as well. You still might make it into this Sunday edition.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I won't make the meeting!!

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Would you like me to put this on my blog?

---------
Damon Tucker's Blog
FBI Blogs
If you guys get serious about writing and want to go online...

Let me know and I can set you folks up with some free blogs.

I have a "Writers Group" heaven forbid I say "Writers Group"

We are called bloggers here on the Big Island.

There are a few of us on Punaweb that are part of it...

But heaven forbid if we were to call it a club and/or stay at are own residences and communicate hourly/daily instead of wasting gas and trying to find places to meet to do it once a month.

I love the concept... willing to help. Most of the "writers" that are writing their blogs on the FBI blogs are not really worried or trying to make money by writing what they like to do.

So if making money online by writing is what your interested in... the FBI Blogs might not be for your group.

I'm more then willing to help you guys start your own little online hui if you want though. The more online hui's we have on this island the better information for us all.

damontucker @ yahoo.com

---------
Damon Tucker's Blog
FBI Blogs
Quote Damon "But heaven forbid if we were to call it a club and/or stay at are own residences and communicate hourly/daily instead of wasting gas and trying to find places to meet to do it once a month".

What is that about? Let me flog my blog while I diss your club. What?

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Get a grip Mella!

I'm trying to offer some assistance. What was your contribution to this thread?

See what happens when someone tries to help around here!

---------
Damon Tucker's Blog
FBI Blogs
Ahem. June 6th sounds great. "I want to go to there." (L.Lemon)

Oh yeah...the fellowship is one of the reasons for a group I believe. Nothing wrong with online blogs. I'm so looking forward to hearing what these brilliant, experienced people have to share. [:X]

Carrie Rojo

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." Barack Obama
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR