Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
leilani estates
Aloha to all. My name is Rich but i go by Fletch. Slightly nervous being my first post. Basically i need info on Leilani Estates. Peoples favorite parts, dryer or wetter sections, upper or lower better. Parts to avoid any and all insight would be appreciated. I am a builder and live on the North Sore of Oahu and am fed up with howcrazy it has become over here in the last 10 yrs. Gonna make the move and have visited Leilani in yrs. gone by but never really enquired to its moods. I could sure use some help. Aloha and mahalos Fletch

Aloha Rich Fletch,

With the cheaper interisland flights these days, it might be best to fly over and look it over for yourself. Leilani isn't that big that you couldn't get a good feel for it in a weekend's looking around. Since there can be lava tubes and such other bits of diverse terrain on an individual lot, it is really best to come look at each lot in person. You could check around and set up an appointment or two with a Realtor if you were ready to buy a lot or just scope things out and check out Leilani as well as the other subdivisions then find a Realtor when you have picked the sub.

You won't have the same surf you are used to on the North Shore! Nor the crowds of winter surfers and tourists.

A hui hou,
Cathy

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
We thought about Leilani and spent a great deal of time there way back in 04. Put in two bids on two separate pieces lost both, one was a blessing in disguise as it was covered with those beautiful Albezia. Good luck, Mella

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Aloha Fletch~

Welcome and Jump right on in!
This isn't like Maui.com.....It is easygoing folks here.
Some things about Leilani, It is in Lava Zone 1 I believe, which makes your insurance cost a lot more and can only get it through something like Lloyd's of London. It has part of the lots under CCR's part of it has none. It does not have public water hookup, but has water catchment. Something you most likely are not used to ever! even on beautiful N. Shore. If you surf you will most likely go back to Oahu some times, because from what I hear there is lots of lava jutting out here in the ocean, being the island is still so new. (Hey, I only boggie board and at that on Oahu when I lived there, so what do I know! Right...Hey guys!!)
Coqui froggies and mosquitos!
You want to avoid lots with Lava tubes unless that is really your thing!

They need good hard working builders who show up and do a good job and finish their work on the BI. If you deceide to move there you should be plenty busy! You mever know you just may be my builder sometime in the future!

Aaron S. can tell you what you get for internet connections there. Or it maybe posted on the forum under that title already.

I love Mokuleia! among other spots on the N. shore. Wish I could live there.....I don't know how many more folks that island can sustain. Oil might eventually give an answer to that question.

What they say may hold true in Leilani too, spend some time there, get to know the folks, every street can be different. See where you fit in the best. Check out www.hawaiianinformation.com to see prices of lots.

Hang loose,
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheLanai
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
Hi Fletch,
Although Leilani Estates isnt one of the larger subdivisions, it does have great diversity. Leilaniguy lives at the top, I live at the bottom, and John Rabbi has places all over the place. If you have any questions im sure someone living in here can help. There are several really nice things about Leilani that the other divisions dont have. We have paved roads, mail service to each house, a very active nieghborhood watch program, and there is never a backup of cars at the highway enterances.
There are the frogs and mosquitos but all the subdivisions along hiway 130 have them. The upper part is wetter then the bottom but both get enough rain to keep the catchments full most of the time, we have never had to buy water. Cable TV only goes about half way down the subdivision, but satalite works fine.
It may not seem like a big thing but the mail delivery is really nice especially with the limited number of PO Boxes at the post offices. The new Mail Stop in Pahoa should really help those in other subdivisions that have to wait sometimes over a year to get a box.
As was said earlier you really have to check out the different parts and the lots before making a dicision. It really is a personal choice.
Good luck.

Aloha fletch. I live on Hapuu St. second block in from Hwy 130, in increment #1, which has no covenants, no paved roads. Still it is a popular, well populated part of Leilani. (quiet, no traffic). This is the highest, wettest part of the subdivision, about 950', has lush, old growth rainforest. The lower you go in the sub. the drier it generally gets, Mohala, Kaupili and Hookupu St.s near Leilani Ave. being driest, dry enough to catch fire twice since 1998. Most of the area is a'a or pahoehoe, with cracks, tubes, and cliffs on some lots, Some of the lots on Mohala St. and the lower end of Leilani Ave. have deep ash soil. Hawaii state ins. is available here up to $250K. Above that, only Lloyds of London will cover this area, and it is my understanding that they will cover only non-lava caused losses. The developement is so large that it is really several neighborhoods with forestland in between. I agree the only way to assure you're getting a good useable lot is to look at each one and walk it over if you can to check for pukas, tubes, albizia trees, etc. Also be aware there are coqui's here. Hey Hookupu, no fair! you type way faster than I do. ;=)

Edited by - leilaniguy on 07/18/2006 22:09:47
Hi leilaniguy,

I am really interested in one particular home in Leilani estates and I will be taking a look at it this week when we visit the island. Why should you "check for pukas, tubes, albizia trees" specially albizia trees? Everyone keeps mentioning them as if they were a bad thing. From ALLLLLL the homes we have looked at there is one that (in photos for now)is are favorite and it is in Leilani. We really hope it is in a good place. Also, this is the first time I hear that there is mail delivery in Leilani. That is Great! It will definitely help us make our decision. That is one of the things (besides water) that we really want.

Good luck fletch, you are sure to find your answers here. I could not have met a greater and more informative group of people! I started out on another website (the first one I found) migrated here and will never leave. Great forum!

Lenny

Edited by - lluberesm on 07/19/2006 02:36:48

Edited by - lluberesm on 07/19/2006 02:38:35
Lenny
Hi Lenny,
Mail delivery is on of those things like air, you dont realze how good it is until you dont have it. When we first arrived here we signed up to get a PO Box and were told it was usually a wait of 1 year so we had to use General Delivey. In the excitement of living here and traveling all around it didnt seem bad. After a while it turned into a real pain to have to go to the post office and have to stand in those long lines just to find out there was nothing for us. Also some places wont ship items to general delivery addresses. When we found our house in Leilani Estates and saw a real mail box out front it helped us decide. Little things mean alot.
Hutch,
You must really be slow, my two finger typing and going back to correct is almost laughableSmile Smile

Aloha, Lenny! Pukas are steep holes in the lava rock which can be an accident hazard or a pain to fill if they are in the way. We have a small puka which we landscaped and now makes an interesting feature. Lava tubes are caves that potentially could collapse or present other hazards. Albezia trees are an invasive species that get HUGE and tend to topple, sometimes causing damage two lots away from their base. Bad business, those, although they look beautiful from a distance. A good realtor will point out these potential hazards as a matter of due disclosure, and I understand that both the realtor guys on this forum are good professionals.

Cheers,
Jerry

"...and John Rabi has places all over the place." Sure, I actually am working on getting the subdivision renamed to "Rabi Estates!" Smile I have one house on Leilani, one square lot on Malama and one nice lot on Moku. I always liked Leilani Estates, I built several homes there during the past five years and I usually am there for the weekend every 2-3 weeks.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
75-5870 Walua Road, Suite 101
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
(808)327-3185

Edited by - John S. Rabi on 07/19/2006 11:30:02
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html