Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Movies!
Something to lighten the mood!

We don't have T.V. - not a biggee we have done it before - the only downside is lack of current news - but that's ammunition for another post.

We LIKE movies - had close to seven hundred but gave over half away to hospice before we came to Paradise (no cheeseburgers).

Some of the people we've met (at least a decade younger) have exclaimed "How can you watch a movie more than once - BORING!".

Well - boring we might be but we enjoy the reruns - we have at least 25 that we will watch at the drop of a hat - just for the entertainment - not necessarily Oscar winners but those that touch something.
Sabrina - Harrison Ford
Six Days & Seven Nights - Harrison Ford
Abyss - Ed Harris
The Client - Susan Saradon
Tarzan - Disney
BLade Runner - Yeah, him again - Harrison Ford
The Robe - Richard Burton
Ben Hur - Charleston Heston
Zorro - Antonio Banderas
And so on!

What is that one or more than one movie that touches something in you - funny, sad, uplifting, dramatic - enough that you would watch it more than once!

"Each thing I do I rush through so I can do something else" - Cemetery Nights/Stephen Dobyns
Murphy's Romance ... Sally Field and James Gardner
Moquito Coast... Harrison Ford

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Gone with the Wind ... Vivian Leigh and Clark Gable
Sordid Lives ... Beau Bridges, Olivia Newton-John, and Delta Burke
2001: A Space Odyssey ... Keir Dullea and HAL
My favorites are:

My Fair Lady
South Pacific
Parent Trap
Airplane
Funny Girl
Any Julia Roberts film
On a clear day (Barbara Striesand}

"From knowledge comes understanding"
"From knowledge comes understanding"
Another vote for GWTW: Best American movie ever made followed by my guilty pleasure, Titanic.

I hate watching movies twice, but I make an exception for these two....and Cabaret.
There are so many movies and books out there I haven't seen or read, I feel I'm wasting time re-watching movies. Although having said that I recently re-watched a classic I saw many years ago - the original Twelve Angry Men with Henry Fonda. The entire film is shot in a cramped room and one of the most gripping movies ever made, without the cheap tricks and mindless dialogue in your average Hollywood movie today. Just excellent acting all through.

It's sad that kids today don't read but want the instant gratification of a simplistic movie. I have piles of fantastic books I've never read just waiting to be delved into, but I find living in Paradise means I'm outside most of the day and exhausted when my head hits the pillow, so I only manage one page a night these days!

So many books, and so little time.....
Legally Blonde....with Reese Witherspoon. Gets funnier each time I see it. (It is one of the very few movies I have watched more than once.)
Secret Ballot! A warm, sweet movie about a female election official sent to an island to collect votes.

My Dinner with Andre. Most folks probably seen it already, but a great dialogue driven movie.

Santa Sangre. Not for the faint of heart! Brilliant, strange, intense, Freudian influenced story about...well just have to see it.

I once held a movie party at the small indie theater, Movie Museum, in Kaimuki and showed it. Half the audience walked out in shock halfway thru, the other half stayed and after the film, we all sat and talked about it for an hour. Mayor Harris and his lovely wife Ramona were going to come but didn't, which may have been a better career move.

Schizopolis. Eventualism!

Love in the Time of the Cholera. They nailed it, just like the book.

Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
The Patriot
Cinderella man
Gladiator
LA Confidential
The Bucket List
The Note book
Dumb & Dumber
The Lathe of Heaven "original"
Oh Lucky man
The Big Country
Forest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
Mutiny on the bounty (all)
Witness for the prosecution.
We love movies, too! Had quite an extensive vhs collection before moving to the tropics (no tv for 30+ years!). Let the kids pick through them,then donated the rest to our old library. We only brought the dvds with us and are slowly replacing some of the old faves as we find 'em.

Here's some of our "drop of a hat" movies:
Captain Ron
Rat Race
Chocolat
Practical Magic
Endless Summer 2
Coupling (series)
Monsoon Wedding
Last Holiday
The Butcher's Wife
The Bird Cage
The Blues Brothers
Love Actually
Arsenic & Old Lace
Billie Elliot
Big Night
Gosford Park
The Jewel of the Nile
God, the Devil & Bob
Much Ado About Nothing
Noises Off
Sahara
National Treasure
Little Rascals
Strictly Ballroom
and many, many more...

I really don't mind watching a favorite movie over again; same goes for a favorite book.

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."