Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merrie Monarch
Is there a published source for all of the events surrounding the MM outside of the main arena focus such as local or visiting halau performances around town, music, and the like? MM web only lists the box office fare. Where to go, park, what to expect, when to go?
Mahalo for your insights.
In past years the Tribune-Herald has published a special Merrie Monarch section that lists all the outside activities but, I've switched to an online-only subscription so don't know if they did so this year (special sections, ads, etc., don't seem to be included online). You could call their office and ask, surely they would have extras available. Good luck.

use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
Lin W Thank you. I called HTH and Sunday will have supplement to paper. Also MM office says Sunday paper or MM booklet on sale at EK Tennis Stadium now. Too bad no advance publicity for planning, yes?
There are a number of sources of activities for this upcoming week & the Trib has had write ups on many of them over the past few weeks...

Today was on the Native Hawaiian arts at the PKP mall for the next week...

There will also be hula at noon at Hilo Hawaiian, Naniloa Volcanoes & 11:30 at Imiloa; art & crafts at Affok Chinen Wed- Sat next week; the music festival on this Sunday at Afook -Chinen (the other (Hilo) side of the park that has the EK tennis stadium - usually a fun & more relaxed event than the competition); the parade next Saturday through Downtown Hilo ( starts 10:30); The Free Hula at the EK tennis stadium on Wed. starting at 6:30 (but you really should be in line MUCH earlier...); and of course if you have tickets - Miss Aloha Hula competition on Thurs., Hula Kahiko on Fri., Hula 'Auana on Sat

If you do not have tickets, be aware that scalping of these tickets is not allowed & there will be more enforcement this year (PUNA KOA will be looking out for this!)... sometimes there are tickets available at the stadium on the performance night (esp. behind the hula platform) (PUNA KOA "Mad Cow" on the Puna side of the stadium will be taking tickets for those that cannot use theirs....) & sometimes you can find a weary watcher who can only partake of some of the 'sitting marathon' that is a part of this magnificent festival!

In the past there has been a free shuttle bus that runs the circuit of many of the events & downtown... that is normally in the Easter Sunday paper, along with almost everything that is going on for the Festival.

Most of this is outlined in the MM website for their events:
http://www.merriemonarchfestival.org/event_info.html

Also Added (from "The Paradise Post" a monthly free paper (their website does NOT have the recent issue online that I could find: www.theparadisepost.com

The 4th annual He Launa Aloha No Ka Mo'i Kalakaua music festival on Sat. April 18 will headline Palani Vaughn in Kalakaua Park. The music event runs from 10-4

Imiloa will also have talks at 10:00 -
TUES. Kalena Silva on Hawaiian views through chants
WED. Kana'e Keawe plants used in hula instruments; Miss Aloha Hula 2008 Kuhi Suginuma will perform hula & there will be a panel discussion on haku mele at 1
THURS. Q&A from 3 past Miss Aloha Hula winners
FRI. participatory Hula with kumu hula Manu Boyd & members of his halau

EDITTED 'cause I cannot type!
Carey - mahalo, you are always best resource. Denied tickets so will watch from comfort of home the competition events Fri and Sat. Where is parade route? Where is best parking/viewing/arrival time?
The route USUALLY starts from at Ponahawai at the Wailoa Park, then over Keawe to Wainuenue then back down Bayfront... but it does change routes some years.... It will be in the Trib on Sunday, so I will update. We like to sit under the shade of the monkeypods on Ponahawai (well, hubby usually is IN the monkeypod....) but also have sat on Keawe near Haili to be close to the music fest (this is also closer to the judges stand).... much more sun there - or rain... whateva!!

It is truly magnificent to see the horse riders from all of the islands, with their horses & riders draped in the colors of the islands.... goose skin just thinking about it!
Big Island on the Cheap is running Merrie Monarch Events.

---------
FBI Blogs
From the Trib:
Sunday
Ho'ollaule'a at the Afook Chinen 10-4
10 Umukupukupu; 11 Halau Na Pua P Uluhaimalama; 12 Halau O Ka Ua Kani Lehua; 1 Halau O Ke'Anuenue; 2 Lori Lei Hula studio; 3 Leo Nahenahe Pohai Kealoha 4 Toa Hare

Monday
Noon Halau O Kawananakoa - Naniloa Volcanoes; 1 Halau Hula O Hilo Hanakahu - Hilo Hawaiian

Tuesday
10-2::30 Hawaiian Entertainment at Imiloa
noon Unaukupukupu - Naniloa Volcanoes; 1 Halau Koa Lima Nani E 0 Hilo Hawaiian

Wednesday
10 - 2:30 Hawaiian Entertainment at Imiloa
11 Halua Keali'i O Nalani Affok Chinen
noon Free Church of Tonga - Naniloa Volcanoes; Leo Nahenahe O Pohai - Hilo Hawaiian
Ho'ike at Edith Kanaka'ole Stadium (free Hula Night):
6 entrance of the Royal Court; National Anthen & Hawai'i Pono'i; Pule
6:30 Halau O Kukuhi; 7:30 Tupulago O Samoa Mo A Taeao; 8:30 Nga Uri O Te Whanoa

Thursday
10-2:30 Hawaiian Entertainment at Imiloa
11 Unukupukupu Afook Chinen
noon Ke Ola Pono - Naniloa Volcanoes; 1 Free Church of Tonga Hilo Hawaiian
6 Miss Aloha Hula (also telecast in HD on KITV 6-11 & their webcast: www.thehawaiichannel.com )

Friday
10-2:30 Hawaiian Entertainment at Imiloa
11 Navy greeting at Pier 1
11 Ke Ola Pono Afook Chinen
noon Halau O Kawananakoa - Naniloa Volcanoes 1 Halau Ha'a Kea 'O Akala - Hilo Hawaiian
6 Hula Kahiko (also broadcast in HD on KITV 6-11 & their webcast: www.thehawaiichannel.com )

Saturday
10:30 Parade starting at Ponohawai to Kilauea/Keawe to Waianuenue to Kamehameha MUST SEE!
The 4th annual He Launa Aloha No Ka Mo'i Kalakaua music festival on Sat. April 18 will headline Palani Vaughn in Kalakaua Park (Downtown, across from the East Hawaii Cultural center & the Old Fed Building - with the old post office). The music event runs from 10-4
noon Ke Ola Pono Afook Chinen
6 Hula 'Auana (also broadcast in HD on KITV 5:30-midnight & their webcast: www.thehawaiichannel.com )

You can visit Edith Kanaka'ole stadium during the weekdays to view the halau practice sessions

Sangha Hall will have an arts, crafts & food festival Thurs - Sat from 9-5

Also Basically Books will be having noontime activities throughout the week & Wailoa Arts Center has a Hawaiiian Quilt show

DID NOT SEE ANY INFO ON A SHUTTLE ROUTE

Carey thank you so very much. Found our way to Afook today and was truly entertained. Also picked up today's newspaper so now with that and your information...ready to take on M/M week in Hilo town. Mahalo nui.
The Ho'olaule'a today was awesome!!! Ended with Tahitian dancers to get everyone's hearts thumping! ;-)

Carey - Saw you & Jim way across the auditorium... what happened to your ankle?

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."