Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birds and Catchment
Aloha,
After living on Hilo water for the past couple years my wife and I finally purchased a house in HPP. We had the roof pressure washed and the catchment tank cleaned, and I am now learning how to be a micro-water-treatment plant manager.

One of the things that really bothers me is the number of birds that seem to hang out (and defecate) on the roof- which drains into the catchment tank every time it rains.

Does anyone have any practical advice on how to scare or repel birds away from a second story roof and gutter system? I know some people and businesses use plastic owls, but not sure if they work or not. Any other options that might work?
Mahalo.
There is a method of dealing with this issue by using a diversion system. This is a system which captures teh first five or so gallons off the roof and diverts it away from the catchment tank. The weight of the five gallons of water causes a shift in the system so the water then flows to the tank.

I am not on catchment myself and am only aware of this system.... others can be more specific.

There may be a pamphlet on the subject from the Dept. of Water Supply.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Thanks Rob,
I do eventually plan to look into a first-flush diverter system, but in the meanwhile I was just wondering if there is any effective method for scaring off some of the birds? The mynahs are pretty aggressive, and the morning doves seem to be real messy. Is there anything short of real life hawks and owls to suggest they live elsewhere?