Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
May & June have become Centipede months in my...
...neck of the woods! Why just the other night we spotted two centipedes in our walk-in closet in master bedroom. Then last month on a single night I found three all within a 30 minute time span in my front room parlor. All of them were those little one's affectionately known as 'Electric Blues' in these parts for their bright blue legs.
Anyone else seen an influx of centipedes in their neighborhood/house?

-----------

Let's get together and over grow the government!!!!
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Only on PW,but it's just one, almost non-biting centipede[Smile].
Ya we have found six In the last month indoors in fern acres.

setting my soul free....
setting my soul free....
Bear Grylls would just eat them.

....and smile doing it....
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I have heard that if it gets too dry or too wet outside, centipedes may be more likely to come in. It has been dry the last two months.

Also, centipede hatches are large and can happen every couple weeks I think, so if there is a nest and repeated hatches without measures to take the count down, the numbers will increase.

Lastly, if there is some new pattern that allows them to get in. I close my doors after it gets dark, or try to.
I'm wondering if coqui frogs grab the babies, and whether the current Jihad on these little amphibians may be a contributing factor to their increased numbers.
Husband got up in the middle of the night Monday and suddenly his foot was burning along with intense itching. The next morning we could not find the "bite marks" and were unsure if it was a centipede or a spider. By the morning the foot and ankle were bright red and terribly, terribly swollen. We finally ended up taking him to the doctor on Tues. afternoon. He was given a tetanus shot (doc said that cetipedes are dirty little critters) and antibiotics. Doc said that if the foot was not getting better in 24 hours then he would have to be admitted to the hospital. We convinced ourselves that the foot was looking a little better on Wed. to avoid hospital(really it was not)but by this morning we could definitely see that the swelling had gone down some. We never found any centipedes or spiders (dead or alive)in the house. Scary stuff.
We've not seen any inside the house, but I did see one (first one we have seen in 6 months) crawling up the outside wall the other day and it drives my dog nuts when she sees anything crawling up the wall. Thank goodness it was too high up for her to catch.

Loretta, that sounds like a frightening experience. It is good news that your husband is improving.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
quote:
Originally posted by Beachboy

...neck of the woods! Why just the other night we spotted two centipedes in our walk-in closet in master bedroom. Then last month on a single night I found three all within a 30 minute time span in my front room parlor. All of them were those little one's affectionately known as 'Electric Blues' in these parts for their bright blue legs.
Anyone else seen an influx of centipedes in their neighborhood/house?

-----------

Let's get together and over grow the government!!!!

Time for you to get some chickens!
Horrible story, Loretta. Last year, I woke up in the middle of the night with a toe that was burning and itching. The next evening, I felt something on my pinkee and it was a small Electric Blue that was about an inch long. I held my hand up to within a few inches of my face and blew on it real hard, thinking it would fly off. Instead, it dug its legs in and I don't think it bit me. I finally knocked it off and killed it (some people actually take them outside and let them go). The same burning and itching followed. Both lasted several days and the pain was much, much worse than the time I got bitten on the back by a big brown one. Because of this, I'm wondering if there may be poison or something in the Blue's claws. Anyone have a thought???

A few weeks ago, I was sitting up in bed, resting against pillows and watching TV when I felt strong movement on my back (this was a repeat scenario of when I was bitten by the big brown one). I moved faster than I would have thought was humanly possible, and there was an Electric Blue that was nearly 3" long, running across my mattress. I killed it before it killed me, and I'm guessing this one may have been the size of the one that got your husband. Either that, or he's allergic to even the small ones. They DO have pretty legs.