Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is digging a home in my back yard?
Aloha All,

I live in Fern Acres and I have a new neighbor. It has dug a home with two entrances/exits about 3' apart. There are cinders in neat piles at each end. With the diameter I think it is either a mongoose or rat. My question is more amazement than anything else. What can dig such a nice burrow in cinder rock?

There have been a couple of lots cleared out nearby so the rat population has been seen cruising around the neighborhood lately.

Does anyone have any ideas what my new neighbor might be? Rat? Mongoose? Other?

The Kona Forum
http://www.konaforum.com

Da Kine PC Repair Upgrade
http://www.DaKinePC.com

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former". --Albert Einstein
Could be toads if it is in an open area.
Sounds like a mongoose to me. Our back lot is ripped and cindered and we have found (along with our cats) elaborate burrough holes along the edges of our property where the land drops off a foot or two that were occupied by mongooses. Of course once our cats found out where they entered and exited...the mongooses gave it up for a new location.
Our mongooses (mongeese?) like to build nice little tunnels, about 2-21/2" DIA... Not sure about the rats... most of what I have seen with them is not neat & orderly... but these are city rats...
OTHER! [:0]

Sounds like a mole. [Wink]

btw, the plural of mongoose is mongoose. [Big Grin]
Mongoose is derived from an Indic language, not English, so it is not in any way related to our word goose nor takes the plural according to the English rule exception.
Something digs a big hole almost every night in the gravel in my carport. I'm pretty sure it's a mongoose because there are a lot of them on my property. It's too small to be a pig. Since there are so many mongoose families around here I haven't seen a rat in a long time. My dog accepts the mongoose, but she goes nuts over rats. I guess she got that from me. lol
hm. interesting. we have a nice looking hole right near the chicken coop. very well defined. have caught rats but have not seen any mongooses (pluralized according to webster's new world dictionary. maybe it's old world by now--printed in 1988).

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

quote:
Originally posted by sistersue

Something digs a big hole almost every night in the gravel in my carport. I'm pretty sure it's a mongoose because there are a lot of them on my property. It's too small to be a pig. Since there are so many mongoose families around here I haven't seen a rat in a long time. My dog accepts the mongoose, but she goes nuts over rats. I guess she got that from me. lol

I don’t think mongooses are nocturnal but rats are.
Also Webster says mongooses or mongees[Wink]

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
>>>Also Webster says mongooses or mongees

Whatever Webster says, putting an English plural on a word deriving from a whole different unrelated language is so wrong. [:0]
I'm going to start saying "mongosling".