Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vehicle safety check
Is the cost of the inspection set by law or does it pay to shop around?

thanks

the guy I go to is 15.00 and he just checks to see if all the lights/signals and horn work.I heard some guys take the wheels off and stuff maybe they charge more.But I think the cost of the sticker is a flat 15.00 where ever u go.

if the inspector decides, for instance, that there is excessive foot pedal travel of the service brake. you may be told or should be told that further inspection is required as in removing of the wheels from at least one side. This task is/could be subject to additional charges at the normal hourly rate posted. However you should be told that this is required before the task begins.

Also some aftermarket equipment interferes with the safety inspections and must be removed for proper inspection, same rule applies. This is true for all States, as Punamom says, some inspectors let many things slide and only check lights, horn and the obvious. Do yourself a favor and report such slackers as they are performing an inferior annual inspection of Safety Equipment and should you have an accident that is a result of your vehicles safety equipment failing you are responsible. Sudden loss of hydraulic pressure in your braking system from a bad front brake hose that has blown out under pressure causes the pedal to travel to the floor and you find yourself out of control in a busy intersection or school crossing. Or perhaps a very loose steering linkage joint that brakes from its ball/socket connection leaving you without control of your steering. Safety inspection are done for a reason and todays vehicles are not without exception to faulty equipment. A proper thorough inspection should take a minimum of 30 minutes and by the book closer to an hour. The hard part for inspection stations is recovering the lost time when labor charges are near 60.00 per hour and you spending 30 min for 15.00 this is why so many folks get a quicky inspection. Those who are apt to follow the manufacturers reccomended maintenance schedule for their vehicle will have many of these safety items closly monitored throughout the servicing year. Those who only bring their vehicle in for annual safety inspections are usually the ones who take the biggest chance, especially if they only get a quicky lights horn and wipers.

Aloha HADave Be Safe

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

Just curious HADave, but where in Puna did you get your car inspected??

Here is a quote from AIG Insurance website:

" An attendant will check to make sure that you have a valid Hawaii automobile insurance card and that your head-, tail- and brake-lights, horn and windshield wipers work properly."

http://www.aighawaii.com/advice_movinginfo.asp

I've had 4 vehicles inspected in Hilo and the above reflects my experience as well. Cost was $15, each inspection, but I can't answer sittall's question.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
I've had my various cars checked at Paul's Repair, Lex Brodies, "Bob's" in Orchidland, the garage behind Pahoa Auto Parts, and a couple of Hilo gas stations over the past 7 years, was always charged $15. It never takes more than 10 minutes or so. All they check is the lights, wipers, signals, horn, ins. and windshield for cracks. They never move the car or look under it, would have no idea about brakes etc. It doesn't matter about loose hinges, broken windows, rust, etc. Safety check here is kind of a joke. I have seen cars lose doors, fenders, bumpers, etc. I nearly got killed once by a hatchback door falling off a VW squareback at 60 MPH several years ago at Makuu.

Edited by - leilaniguy on 08/16/2006 20:55:09

Edited by - leilaniguy on 08/16/2006 21:31:51
I've found through the years that people's relationship(s) to their vehicle(s) can be a touchy subject. I realize that you who are commenting on my comments are there and I am not. However, just because your experiences suggest that motor vehicle safety inspections done in Puna are only of those items you've mentioned plus that of World's most authority on HDOT law, AIG INS Co. doesn't mean you haven't been screwed out of your 15.00 not to mention your right to operate a safe motor vehicle. If a builder or and electrician or a plumber didn't have a county appointed inspector following up their work, how would it make you feel when you found out they weren't doing you justice. Or what if you found that the inspectors weren't checking the work of these folks in your best interest/letter of the law. Some folks escape ever having a safety item failure many others do not. When auto manufacturers issue recalls it's from a great number of field reported incidents. Proper safety inspections are your only insurance that you are not one of the unfortunate many that loose life or limb to an incident related to premature wear, improper inspection or faulty design. If someone says for 15.95 I'll change your oil and filter, lubricate your chassis, inspect all your belts, hoses, fluid levels and you stand there watching them only change your oil do you make mention that they didn't check the other items or do you let it slide. On the wall of every State Inspection Station should be a chart that lists those items to be checked, look for it next time you go. Don't let some guy tell you your vehicle is safe to drive when it "might" not be, their job is to prove it.

Because some names were mentioned of local bussinesses that only check things like lights, horn, wipers, glass and insurance cards I won't be the one to post the info that proves their are in direct violation of State Law, as this forum is only considered here-say. I can tell you that fines and loss of licences can be imposed from your testaments should these inspectors/stations be caught doing quicky inspections.

Continue the research on this issue there is a manual that can be found and I have a copy. Like most States, Hawaii has some 30 plus reasons for failure but it is up to you, the residents, to inforce policies and procedures. Its your lives and the lives of others that you gamble with. I'm abit more fortunate than some as this has been my life's profession, and I know my way around vehicles and the law governing their use. I am truly trying to be helpful here and I know from experience that you would be ever so greatful if you found my words helped prevent a member of your family from being injured, maimed or killed. I take my work serious and always have.....

Much Aloha! HADave

PS those of you who can't find the link to the manual, can email me direct.

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

I'll just add....

I LOVE PUNA and there is NO other place like it, in all the world.

I like living on the Edge :-)

Leilani guy and Dave--You guys really brought up some great information! Just have to say thanks so much!!

As anectdotal evidence will tell you from Leilani guy's testimony, it really does matter and it is for the everyone's benefit to be informed of something that could become dangerous with lives out on the road.

I do have to add that lots of folks post answers to things, but you Dave seem to stand out on getting right to the importance of what someone is asking and answering in all of your posts. Lots of good information that you share to ponder over and come up with a plan and solution or give us an entirely different outlook on it!
Thanks for all of your kindly given knowledge and the priviledge we get from you taking the time to share it with us!

I came to this posting because I noticed that you weren't around much anymore and thought that you should know that we do value your perspectives.

Aloha,
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheLanai
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
Thankyou Lucy

For those who find safety issues important here are links to the states administration rules governing vehicle safety inspections as well as the actual manuals themselves.

as always,Aloha

HADave

http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/highways/admin...202005.pdf

http://www.state.hi.us/dot/highways/adminrules/PMVI%20Manual%20for%20Inspectors%20of%20Pass%20Cars%20&%20Lt%20Trucks%20Aug%202005.pdf

http://www.state.hi.us/dot/highways/admi...202005.pdf

plus other DOT links

http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/highways/admin...leshwy.htm

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

In addition to the basics mentioned they will check the degree of tinting if your windows are tinted. They will charge $5.00 extra for that inspection, otherwise it's $15.00.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
75-5870 Walua Road, Suite 101
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
(808)327-3185
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html