Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ocean Entry Stopped, oops, Started Again!
The ocean enrtry at Waikupanaha(kalapana) has been shut down yesterday and today.

The HVO tiltmeter also shows some unusual activity. Pu'u O'o and Halemaumau usually graph parallel to each other; And now Halemaumau is kind of heading off on its own. It seems like the TEB and Pu'u O'o have shut down, at least temporarily.

(Any insights Dakine?)

edit:typo

punatoons
Greg, thanks for that! I see now that the summit glow is back to its brightest since June. I wonder, I wonder, what will come next?

dakine, no doubt you are all over this photo request? (or they had all of yours already)
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/
In a recent "Volcano Watch" article ( http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/2009/09_06_18.html ), HVO invited folks to share their photos of historic Hawaiian eruptions and volcanic landscapes, particularly those taken prior to 1924.

We are now expanding our request to include photos of Hawaiian eruptions and volcanic landscapes from all years—especially those of K#299;lauea's eruptions prior to 1983 (the start of its ongoing east rift eruption) and Mauna Loa eruptions in 1984 and earlier.
The only info I have is that the 'blockage' (my word, I haven't heard of hvo quantifying what they think is the cause) is apparently preventing magma from entering the east rift plumbing system. As can be seen on the tilt plot at http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/deformation.html the summit is inflating and deflating as Puu Oo remains flat. In other words there appears to be a break in the hydraulic connection between the summit and the rift. With the assumption that Kilauea keeps getting a fresh supply of magma from its deeper source, this results in an overall inflation of the mountain in the summit region, whereas in what we have been calling usual times, the vent down at Puu Oo has acted as a pressure relief valve (that is almost 2000 feet lower on the mountain than the summit), so even with the vent open at Puu Oo it has been unusual to see magma so close to the surface of the summit for the last year and a half.

Currently, with this blockage the pressures usually weened off of the system through the east rift are accumulating within the summit alone. What this means for the immediate future is anyones guess. The tilt at the summit is far from linear, i.e., it is not just inflating as if it were taking on more and more pressure (magma), but rather going through cycles of inflation and deflation, as if magma is moving around within the summit. But it will take the analysis of all the tilt and gps data from the summit array of instruments to be able to even guess at what is going on, and, even if this model of a blockage is reasonable. The other logical reason for a pause in eruptive activity would be a pause in the incoming magma from the deeper source. Though I do not think the summit would be in such an inflationary mode if that were the case.

There are a few ways this can develop. Over the years the east rift plumbing system has apparently stayed open by a series of earthquakes that seem to happen in pairs, a few weeks apart, with one event occurring south of Mauna Ulu and the other south of Puu Oo. The quakes are caused by that portion of the south flank spreading, to the south, and allowing for the fissure that the magma flows through between the summit and Puu Oo to remain open. Thus this backing up of magma at the summit could create enough pressure to cause this to happen again and by doing so open the rift and allow the magma to once again flow down to Puu Oo. Then again, this could happen without the drama of the earthquakes. Or, we could see a build up of pressures that get released in the upper portion of the east rift. You'll remember that this happened a few years ago just before the beginning of the whole eruptive sequence that caused all the concern for Puna, and highway 130. And of course the desired result, at least by a few, of this 'blockage', would be that the pressures within the summit are able to accumulate to a point that the magma is able to fill up the vent in Halemaumau and we can actually witness a summit eruption, with a lava lake and occasional fountaining all from the rim of the caldera.

And of course, I could be blowing a bunch of hot air, and something entirely different could be going on. That's the fun part of the whole contemplating what a living, breathing mountain might be doing from one day to the next!

As far as my pics go. I was in one capacity or another associated with hvo for about 10 years, from '85 through '95, and they have books filled with slides shot by me on their behalf during that time. As well as all of my published books are a part of their library.
Still no plume at Waikupanaha this morning, but the tiltmeter shows Pu'u O'o inflating again.

It's still unusual; now Pu'u O'o is inflating while Halemaumau is deflating. (they historically act in tandom)

Call the plumber!

punatoons
Well, the plume at Waikupanaha has started back up. I had to replace a gate valve. That will be $2,000,000 please.

[Smile]

punatoons
dakine; you may have been blowing a lot of hot air, but that was the first explanation of how things seem to work in that volcano that:

1. I could understand
2. Makes sense

THANK YOU

ps - both of our boys have now read your reply and they agree!
Thank you,Dakine for the education.

Greg,my heart "stopped and then started again".I thought I would lose
my first house before I had a chance to live in it.
StillHope,

In the few days after I closed escrow the following occurred: 1) An earthquake strong enough to be reported in the mainland news, 2) a hurricane just missed the island,flooding the Vacationland area 3) the lava abruptly changed course and headed in the general direction of my neighborhood.

Good times.
Haha, Glen - Boy do I remember that! We were in the process of moving when earthquake, hurricane, & lava threatened to derail our plans! Never a dull moment, eh? ;-)

Hang in there, Stillhope - You'll make it here yet!

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."
Thank you,Liz and Glen for your support.
I can not imagine the nightmare you went through.
I am glad it's "leaking" again.
Is that Pele ever going to have...you know what...( most women have after 50 )?[Big Grin]