Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How common is this type of theft?
This question was asked by Mark P on the building forum.
I'd like to hear the answer too about propane theft from big tanks...
Probably,if it happens,it's not noticeable unless someone drains too much...
Never heard of it happening before. I do not think it is completely simple to disconnect a large vessel's fittings and port up a small tank. You would need to have the hardware and tools to do it and it would take a while to accomplish.

That's not to say it has never been done. Most thieves are rather lazy though. Too many small tanks around that are quick and easy to steal in 20 seconds.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Thank you,Rob!
I am totally ignorant as far as propane tanks are concerned.
I thought you just turn on some valve and...
Well,thank you for educating me.
I have seen someone transfer propane from a small 5gal tank into a larger tank on an RV. I was just assuming that it could go the other way as well, and I am sure it can given the tools and knowhow. Anyway, if you did bury the tank and line, no one would even know it is there.

When I saw a transfer done, the small tank was tilted so that liquid would come out instead of gas and go into the big tank. To get any usable amount out the thief would have to connect to a fitting with a dip tube that reached down to the liquid, since the big tanks are too large to tilt. I don't know if the big tanks have such fittings. You wouldn't need a dip tube when putting the liquid in as when filling or when taking gas out as during use.
Wouldn't the direction of flow have something to do with which tank has higher pressure? I would think that with just fittings and hoses, that the gas would just flow to the more empty tank until both were at equal pressure? Never tried it, but something here seems like a physics experiment. . .
Okay, this reminds of when I refilled the propane tank on my BBQ at the Keaau propane place, on the road the police station is on. I drove up...kids and dogs everywhere....and a very nice guy who very quickly filled up my tank while smoking just inches from it, and inches from a very big "No Smoking" sign.
If you try filling a tank from a home bulk tank, wont you only get the gas and not the liquid? How long will that last? I know they sell tank refill kits (RV stores) that you have to connect to the valve that is used to fill the bulk tank as that's the only point where you have access down to the liquid. But you have to install this while the tank is empty as it can't be installed while the tank is under pressure. I'm sure if someone had access to a filling hose and attachments they can rig something to draw out the liquid to a smaller tank. But I think connecting to the line to the house, relief valve, or gas return overfill port will only get you gas.
I don't know how common it is here, but it's pretty common many places on the mainland and something to watch for. Very easy to do.
This is clearly tangential, but apparently the Mexican drug cartels have been siphoning from oil pipelines in Mexico and selling to US refineries. How this hasn't got more attention in the press is puzzling to me...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB12500342...lenews_wsj

As energy prices rise, these kind of thefts seem to be something of a canary in a coal mine regarding the elevation of a new kind of "peak everything" crime. Siphoning off gas was common enough to be known about when I was a kid, and stealing copper from transmission lines etc. has been going on for years across the US, but one has to wonder: What's next?

In any case, this is the first I've heard of propane thefts. Sheesh....

Kirt
Propane is a liquid when pressurized a gas when not.

If both the filling container and the holding container are connected.

Assuming Both tanks are under normal pressure, the gas will be liquid in both tanks and all the normal laws of physics apply...ie you will need a pump to transfer or raise one tank.

It is possible to transfer propane from a full smaller tank to a empty larger one .... ..Id need a pencil and piece of paper to draw it out... but one uses the gas pressure to push the liquid out from the little one into the (zero pressure) empty big one until they equalize

A handy trick if you are doing a car airco too.. speeds up the fill