Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free checking - no strings attached ?
So far I am still keeping my mainland Credit Union.
But I have to drive 60 miles to the bank in the SWIRL system.

So for the practical purpose I have to get another ,local bank.

I checked 3 banks so far (Pahoa is the closest place).

Only Bank of Hawaii has no strings attached.

FHB and CU Hawaii has some "buts".

Any other recommendation?

I don't want to keep track how many checks I wrote (though I don't do it often) (FHB)
or get charged if it's less than 50 bucks left (CU Hawaii)..

I am planning just to use some funds from the mainland bank if I need cash withdrawal or so.
I like Bank of Hawai'i. Have been with them over six years and perfectly happy. I will say that the more money you keep with them the more perks you get. A Bankohana is a much nicer account than the bare bones checking, but I have a small secondary account that I sometimes take down to under $5 and I haven't had any problems.
Stillhope, I like BOH for a few reasons. They are one of the top 5 rated banks for low-risk in the *Country*. I can't remember where the article is from, but they have it at the branch if you ask them. This was a big deal to me when banks started to fail last year. Apparently BOH has not invested in risky lending. They also recently added the ability for External Transfers, which means you can set up to handshake with your mainland Credit Union & transfer funds between the two. A very good thing if you need to move money! The only other option was wiring money to/from my mainland account. I had to go into the branch and spend money - I greatly prefer doing it for free from the computer!

I also have an HFS account (Kea'au), which has a gas discount enrollment in HFN (Hawaii Fueling Network). I think they offer Notary services for free too. I appreciated that their wire transfers were only $10 (versus $40 at BOH) before external transfer came along.

I think FHB or CUH have access to the HFN gas discount program. Might want to check if you plan to consume a lot of fuel (you have to fuel at Orchidland or HFN in Hilo).

So a quick recap of features I look for:
* online banking
* online external $$ transfers to my mainland CU
* low cost money wires
* gas program with HFN
* strength/risk of bank
* Notary services

hope that helps

* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
Than you,Hoooligal!
It's a lot of useful information.
I like to use online payments.With my mainland bank it is free.
BOH charges $5.99 monthly fee for that.
But since I'll be using my CA bank for that it's not a problem.
Tnank you,Kathy!
That's exactly what I need - a small secondary account.
I have 3% on my checking in CA - you can not beat that.
I think it will cost you $4 a month to have an account with no balance requirements. We got our fee waived because we have other accounts. I think $4 is not much for the convenience. There is also a 55 plus free checking, but I think of you as younger ... however, even if you are old enough, that requires some sort of automatic direct deposit. I don't know ALL the products they offer either.
What bank gives you 3%? That does sound good ...
I like CU Hawaii. Only write a few checks per month, mostly do online transfers and payments. I don't use their Bill Payment system, but link from the site I'm paying and automatic transfers. Once in awhile I get a dividend (.06 in Nov), but I don't recall paying any fees except for wire transfers.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

What bank gives you 3%? That does sound good ...

PLCU (Point Loma Credit Union).
For 3% (was actually 3.65% on more money) you need a direct deposit and 12 transaction a months on the check card (could be very small -even 25 cents-they don't care).And paperless statements.That's all.
[quote]Originally posted by David M

mostly do online transfers and payments. I don't use their Bill Payment system
-----------------------------------------------------------
I am confused.If you pay your bill on line and don't use "Bill Payment" ($5.99 a months service) then how you do it?
you should try American Savings Bank. I have been with them for 5 years and they have totally free checking.