Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LODGING!
You drew me in you crazy punatics! I land (squish) at Hilo on October 10th. The first thing I shall do is kill a frog in your honor. Now, where to stay in Puna....I may be looking at property that I can ill afford in HPP, a place down near, uh, the end of the road,just before those two roads meet at the painted church, and in Shores and Beaches. So, I will be all over Puna. Also might want to drive up Hamakua to see the place that got away in Honomu, and see what the coastline is like up that way.

Kona will have to wait another day, I think.

Have you stayed in a place that you liked in or around Puna, or have you heard about a place?

My needs are few, although I do like a nice ceiling fan, and good coffee in the morning.

Mahalo in advance.
Glen,
I have a nice 2 bedroom/2 bath vacation rental in Orchidland Estates on 3 tropical acres. Ceiling fans in every room and satelite TV. You can see photos of the unit and property at www.orchidlandvacationrentals.com click on the Main upper unit for photos and description. $75 per night plus tax.
Aloha,
Lee & Ana Graves

Hi Glen - try this link http://hpvacationrentals.com
Mark & Ron are great & they have some pretty sweet rentals in Kapoho as well as other areas. The are also RE agents but will do nothing more high pressure than leave their card for you. I have never used them as RE agent, only for the rentals. Kapoho Beachlots with a nice private pool is a good place to tuck in every night after looking for a house.

You need to stay at least two weeks and plan to grocery shop, make a faux clothes shopping trip, go to Home Depot, Sears etc. Do things you would do at home. Try to see how different it could be. Make plans to hook up with some of the folks on this board and really get to know what living on BI is about. Make sure you talk to a few people that have not found the road to HI to be free of bumps & potholes. You need to know everything before you get serious about moving.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
Whatever you do, don't rent the Hawaiian Sunset House in HPP. We rented for a few nights this past June and was miserable there. There were fans but the house was not built where you can get cross-ventilated. We also paid $100 cleaning fee but the house wasn't that clean. The pillows had lots of stains on them. We found previous renters'underwear in the washer...You get the picture.

Aloha Glen, just do the ah eeeny-meeny- miny ! LOL and try Lee's place which comes highly recommended, that and other places also. VRBO is good also. When Gene and I came over on our second hunt, we spent a week in a rental thru a realtor in Nanawale, and a week at a VRBO rental in Fern Acres, with Pahoa in the middle! We enjoyed each spot and learned so much of the typical weather and surrounding country, shopping and such. We ultimately decided to settle in Eden Roc, a bit remote, nice square lots, good weather for our tastes.

Enjoy yourself, oh and if you call the Hilo Hawaiian and tell them you want the property special, for people searching for property, they give a good rate. Just stay a day or two there so that you can enjoy the ocean, and downtown Hilo views, the canoes, fish sunrise and moon set, for a few mornings and evenings! Mella

mella l

Edited by - mella l on 09/08/2006 08:48:49
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Hi Glen we stayed in the 2 brd room. Not fancy
but clean. central location for RE shopping
He had a nice studio though that looked nice. Check it out.
http://www.deephawaii.com/vacationrentals.htm

aloha
Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Here is one spot we stayed and loved. Great location and a home away from home.

There are many other's on this site also, I think by town. Happy hunting!
http://www.vrbo.com/19592

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Hey Mella, we've stayed there too! Nice place. We enjoyed our stay. Great price.

Try Mango Bay right in HPP I think it was 26th and Kanoli 2 bedroom clean and cheap.
Google it.

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
I stayed here: http://myhawaiihouse.com/ last year. It's a nice house, very reasonable, and only a few blocks from the ocean. BUT: It's way down in Beaches, so if you're not focused in that area....

I'd recommend much closer to Pahoa, which would be pretty much Puna Central. Though, Mella's recommendation in Fern Acres is very near the top of my 'possibles' list for my next trip, as I'm focusing more up-country.