Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Drilled in Puna
Okay, having read the thread below about catchment water, I am now thinking catchment may not be my cup of tea. Or that I wouldn't want to make a cup of tea with catchment or that I would ONLY drink catchment if it were in a cup of tea (boiled, impurities, if any, hidden). My mind remains open, and I do plan on staying somewhere where there is catchment so I can possibly get used to the idea.

Please don't take me for the non-adventerous type. Remember -- I am thinking of relocating from Oceanside, CA to Puna. I am offically adventerous.

All that being said, it is possible to DRILL for water. Let's say I am in Puna Beach Palisades and I want to drill for water. Is that possible? There's a huge aquifer down there isn't there?

How much to drill and who does it?

Catchment people: In my heart, I know you are right. I will explore it further.
Glen, we are in Seaview, right next to Puna Palisades. There is a well someone driiled there recently. but we were told it is slightly saline so it would no be for drinking. Also I wanted to say that we had a condo in Oside for many years, 2 blocks from the pier, up until a year ago. We were both from Hemet. So take it from us. It is any
easy relocate.

Aloha
Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Glen,
There are a few people on well water but it is very expensive to drill and with the lava rock here being so pourous I would worry about someone's cesspool leaching into my aquifer? What's your biggest fear about catchment? It's a no brainer, the rain falls on your roof and it goes into your catchment tank. Thousands of households here are on catchment water and I haven't heard of anybody getting sick.
Lee

Glen,

You can have a well drilled, with an attached filter system. I have such a system and have no complaints. The water is great with no salinity.

To be sure of purity, the water is tested frequently. The comments regarding proximity to leach fields is well taken and should be researched prior to drilling.

As far as costs, it obviously depends on how far you have to drill. Those closer to sea level typically have less depth to go, although apparently being too close can cause salinity problems. My well is about 70 feet deep. It came with the house (HPP), but I recall that the cost to the previous owner was around $10,000.00 (pump, purification system, and drilling).

Good luck!

Edited by - keikidad on 09/09/2006 12:21:54
David
Hmmmm.... Drilled in Puna? You DO know that there is another name for Puna Palisades, don't you? It is alliterative.

I didn't think about drilling a well, assuming it would be multiples of the $3 or $4 k a catchment setup costs.

Mind, meet gutter. Gutter, meet mind. I thought I was about to read a wholely inappropriate topic. Nevermind...

Yes, you can drill a well although it is expensive. Depending on where you are, it can be a little saline. Remember too, that many homes here are on cellpools. I'm sure it can be completely safe, but frankly, I'm happier to be on catchment. And because of the filter system I've installed, I have no hesitation in drinking my water.

John Dirgo, RA, ABR, e-PRO
Island Trust Properties, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
John Dirgo, R, PB, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
http://www.bigislandvacationrentals.com
http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com
I have heard a figure of $100 per foot for well drilling. I also believe a permit is needed from Dept. of Land and Natural Resources.

The county well hear near Pahoa High School is 700' deep.

Aloha
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Yes, Wayne, a very nice young man told me about the alliterative term for Puna Palisades. I tried to run that term as a key word on real estate sites and to my surprise, nothing popped up. I'll try again. I'm sure I will have better luck later.

Seems like they would start requiring septics, by the way. Cesspool. Shudder.

Somebody slap me. I may not be Puna enough.

The county bills you for the water from your well. The well drillers must report to the county whenever they drill and the county then knows to bill you. If you use catchment, be sure to keep the water at a good pH level. Too much acid in the water will corrode copper pipes. You'll start getting the bluish color in your shower and on your clothes from the washer. I've heard of people having to change all their plumbing because of the corrosion.

Ya know, in some parts of the mainland and many, many other countries it is so commonplace to live on a catchment system. I was a little hesitant about the idea only because I never used one before. So many places in Hawai'i use catchment and as John Dirgo and others have stated, there's really not a risk - it's much easier to maintain than a pool although it seems people like to compare it to that. You get free water in your tank and that's great 'cause another bill you don't get. Many people here will tell you about their UV filters and also you only have to have it cleaned every few years. That sounds like a great deal. The catchment system at Lee & Ana's place was amazing. That water was very drinkable - even had a small filter right at the water faucet in the kitchen. I think once you come out and see what the area is like and when you realize just how many people are existing on catchment and probably don't even give it a second thought - you may be able to quell some of your skepticism or hesitancy about it. Aloha

Carrie

"To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater." Bono
http://www.hellophoenix.com/art/dreamhawaii.Cfm
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2