Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava viewing
Just came across this and thought it may help some decide to go look tonight.

Quote:
DI events often affect surface flow activity on the flow field. Typically, surface flow activity will decrease about 12 hours after the start of deflation and resume about 12 hours after the start of inflation. The last two DI events were of short duration and small amplitude and have not produced all the typical effects; if this most recent one does, we might expect some, probably small, increases in activity this afternoon or evening.

This was from the HVO site.

Royall

Thanks for the update, Royall. I was so disappointed last week when I went there and found that the flow behind the guard shack had stopped the day before. The only thing visible in the dark was one teensy glowing spot. But I actually love the fact that the lava flow is so dynamic and always changing.
Just a side note: last Tuesday, just after Noon, Paddy's cabin, the little white place out on the flow finally burned.
Was that one of those little ones listed for sale?
Enjoy the day! Ann
It was located on the other side of the ocean entry flow & was the only building left in the area. I believe the cabins you're thinking of are located in Kalapana vacation lots, a couple of miles closer to Pahoa from the flow.
Thanks Leilaniguy. I was thinking it was the last one left in Royal Gardens. Is that B & B still ok? The red house I believe.

mella l

mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Here's a video of the cabin burning.
Just another reason to think twice about building close to lava.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zp6ePkQWy0
Hmmm... wonder how close is "too close"???
Enjoy the day! Ann
The ocean entry has been heavy the last couple of nights. A lot of glow with just the occasional peek of lava. Surface flows intermitant. I've given up on any predictions of conditions, but would encourage frequent visitation, if practical, for that magic moment.

There are actually two dwellings left in Royal gardens; One is Jack Thompsons B&B. They are not however, easily visible through the trees.

punatoons
The area is closed tonight (Wed,11/11)due to wind direction.

punatoons