Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava Viewing
Finally went out to see lava flow last night.
Wow what a treat. The hillside aglow. The lava glowing and hissing at the seashore. A special treat was a skylight that you could get close
enough to see a fast moving stream of lava headed to the ocean. Hot spots along the way.
What an intense feeling. The smells, the stars, everything spectacular. We used a gps, worked great. It was exactly 3.77 mile total up and back from end of road. roughly an hour or less each way. Well worth the trip.

Aloha
Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Hi Wyatt,

Where did you go to do this and where did you come from. I wanna go!
Beautiful but can be dangerous too. A 35 acre chunk broke off into the ocean less than a year ago! Surfs up brah.
Steve & Regina
Hawaiian Acres / North Lake Tahoe

'If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there' - George Harrison
My family was there about a month ago, and as we were hiking toward the viewing spot, another huge chunk (17 acres) fell off and splashed back into the ocean. The plume was like a billowing white statue in the sky. So breathtaking.

hope
hope
We went to to end of road (hwy 130) there was quit a few cars there. you go past the sign at the end of road that says residents only.
Keep driving tell you get to the end of road.
Start hiking toward steam cloud. We started at 6:00Pm to have some light on the way there. Returning by 8:00Pm. We used a GPS. others had blinking light in the parking light.Flashlight a must. Remeber you are doing this at your own risk.

Aloha
Wyatt

-- Beca Lewis Allen
A sign at the end of the road that says residents only? Residents of what? Hell? I don't think I will be making that trek, but I congratulate you on our bravery.

Can you see the volcano spewing at night from anywhere in Puna?? I know it usually leaks, rather than spews, but when it spews can you see it?
I've seen the glow of Pu'u O'o from the upper floors of houses in Puna Beach Palisaides at night.

Aloha,
Rob L

Edited by - Rob L on 09/13/2006 19:10:51
Aloha,
Rob L
The sign was put there when the lava first over took the road. It's kinda a joke now. people just drive by it. You can drive down that road at night and look at the volcano slope glowing without leaving your vehicle.
the road is a little rough.

Aloha
Wyatt

-- Beca Lewis Allen
Glen, you can see the glow from a very few places in Puna, the trail off of the end of Glenwood (sometimes), Outer (west) Kalalpana (where Wyatt went) and the National park are the main areas. Most of Puna has no view of the molten lava.
Aloha, Carey

Wyatt on the GPS did you use it for NSEW directional or did you use specific coordinates? Aloha, Mella

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA