Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cell phone tower
We received notice that our immediate neighbor in HPP wants to put up a 150' cell phone tower. This is on top of the six ham radio towers he has erected since he moved in. The Planning Commission has it figured out that if we, as the imposed-upon neighbors who will look at this thing (it is hidden by trees from the neighbor so he will not see it looking out his windows) wish to "intervene" by objecting to "the coverage objectives for T-Mobile" that the County gets a $100 fee from us for objecting. This tower was courted by the HPP association board for installation on the big blocks of community land until they found the deal set up by the developer prevented any commercial development. There will be a monthly rent paid to whoever hosts the tower. The quick thinking neighbor, who happened to be on the board, invited T-Mobile to our street. It seems as though our fourteen years of work to have a place in the country is about to go down the out the window as I will look out the window at a microwave-beaming monster. The reason cited in the petition for this twin-microwave wonder is to be a "significant resource in the event of a local emergency or widespread disaster". Let me see, if there is a fire, our home is fire proof. Also wind and earthquake resistant. The base is actually lava proof thanks to the castleblock. When power goes out we have solar, as well as a good drinkable catchment system. And we don't use T-Mobile. Significant resource for whom?
John Maloney
johnmaloney3@me.com
Hawaii Architect AR8082

Any other sites in HPP that can be utilized instead? As in, sites that the HPP community can benefit from instead of an individual, especially since cell service in Puna already is poor in so many areas?
T-Mobile is making a deal with Nanawale that will benefit the community association.
Since the stated reason for the tower is for a disaster resource, I had suggested an alternate location actually accessible and not midway between the main roads of Paradise and Makuu. T-Mobile wants it in a place somewhere in central HPP where a landowner is anxious to get the rental income, thinks towers are beautiful, and could care less what his neighbors think.
My wife looked up cell towers and found a federal government ruling blocking any objection to to microwave towers based on health reasons, in case you were wondering.
John Maloney
johnmaloney3@me.com
Hawaii Architect AR8082

John...

Where precisely this thing to be eRECTed?

Not that it matters all that much.
I'll be pissed off no matter WHAT the heill you say.

It'll just be easier to notify/mobilize/fix-things if the specifics are available to folks.

Don't panic quite yet, eh?
And THANK you for the info!
Smart to have made the post.

---malolo
http://costofwar.com/
At one point in a recent HPP Board meeting they discussed having a cell tower on the premises of the headquarters on Makuu near 17th. I don't remember if it was T-Mobile, but I do remember something about the Association getting some of the income. Inquiries were also made as to whether the tower could be disguised with camouflage to look like a big tree. Like Malolo, I would like to know exactly where this is proposed. And yes, there are problems with deed restrictions on some of the vacant 20-acre properties owned by the Association.
quote:
[i]And we don't use T-Mobile. Significant resource for whom?

Who do you use for cell service.?

Their tower(your tower)may be the one that is looming over my house.
You can make cell towers that look like trees or church steeples , they have them on the east coast. on Kauai they are using smaller antennas ( broom stick) attached to buildings -more of them but lower power output.
This is all a function of planning boards

The cell tower is proposed on 13th Avenue (Kukui) slightly more towards Makuu than Paradise. The location is pretty easy to spot due to the six ham radio towers already installed by the owner. The property is gated with a tall shrub-covered fence between rock wall columns. It's basically four blocks makai of the location proposed by the HPP association.

Does anyone know how to contact the owners of the commercial blocks in HPP? The Watumulls? Those blocks are so big that a tower in the center would be as far as possible from a homesite.
John Maloney
johnmaloney3@me.com
Hawaii Architect AR8082

John, the Watamulls are not the owners of all the 20 acre parcels in HPP. They were the developers of the subdivision, and at some point handed ownership of all but four of those 12 parcels to the HPPOA. There were deed restrictions placed on some of those now the property of the Association. I don't remember all the details, but it seems like some of them are restricted to civic use such as parks, schools, and public safety fuctions. Three of the ones the Watamulls retain ownership over are along Kaloli and the fourth is adjacent to the Waldorf school on Makuu at 25th. While one or two of those on Kaloli would be prime for commercial development, they are not currently zoned for such.

The association recently approached the Watamulls about using the frontage of some of the deed restricted parcels for blocks of postal boxes, and they have so far declined to remove or waive the restrictions. This is not official information, but my recollections from Board meetings and conversations with HPPOA officials.

I don't know how to contact the Watamulls, but I think they live on Oahu. You might contact the HPP office to see if they can help with contact info.

Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry,

I have found the contacts and am explaining the situation to people who can solve the problem. A problem is an unresolved equation, and algebra only takes patience and tenacity.

Aloha,

John
John Maloney
johnmaloney3@me.com
Hawaii Architect AR8082